Optimal Monetary Policy with an Uncertain Cost Channel
AbstractThe cost channel of monetary transmission describes a supply-side effect of interest rates on firms' costs. Previous research has found this effect to vary, both over time and across countries. Moreover, the cyclical nature of financial frictions is likely to amplify the cost channel. This paper derives optimal monetary policy in the presence of uncertainty about the true size of the cost channel. In a min-max approach, the central bank derives an optimal policy plan to be implemented by a Taylor rule. It is shown that uncertainty about the cost channel leads to an attenuated interest rate setting behavior. In this respect, the Brainard (1967) principle of cautious policy in the face of uncertainty continues to hold in both a Bayesian and a min-max framework. Copyright (c) 2009 The Ohio State University.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Totzek, Alexander, 2009. "Banks and early deposit withdrawals in a new Keynesian framework," Economics Working Papers 2009,08, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Sylvia Kaufmann & Johann Scharler, 2009. "Bank-Lending Standards, the Cost Channel and Inflation Dynamics," Economics working papers 2009-16, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Malikane, Christopher, 2012. "Inflation dynamics and the cost channel in emerging markets," MPRA Paper 42688, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jochen Michaelis, 2012. "Optimal Monetary Policy in a Currency Union: The Role of the Cost Channel," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201203, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Leitemo, Kai & Söderström, Ulf, 2005.
"Robust Monetary Policy in a Small Open Economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5071, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kai Leitemo & Ulf Söderstrom, 2005. "Robust Monetary Policy in a Small Open Economy," Working Papers 290, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Leitemo , Kai & Söderström , Ulf, 2005. "Robust monetary policy in a small open economy," Research Discussion Papers 20/2005, Bank of Finland.
- repec:onb:oenbwp:y::i:164:b:1 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.