Modelling the Demand for Imports and Domestic Output
AbstractThe paper models domestic output over imports in Norway’s expenditure on manufactures. Using Johansen’s (1988, 1991) method, we obtain a cointegrating vector between the output-imports ratio, relative prices and a proxy for international specialisation. This vector enters a conditional equilibrium correction model of the output-imports ratio; a model which also includes short-run influences of relative prices and a negative coefficient for domestic capacity utilisation. The utilisation coefficient aside, we do not find significant activity effects on the output-imports ratio. Lastly, the model passes several tests of the Lucas critique.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Department of Statistics Norway in its series Discussion Papers with number 243.
Date of creation: Jan 1999
Date of revision:
Import share; international specialisation; cointegration; Johansen procedure; equilibrium correction model; parameter constancy; Lucas critique.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gagnon, Joseph E., 1989.
"Adjustment costs and international trade dynamics,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 327-344, May.
- Gregory, R G, 1971. "United States Imports and Internal Pressure of Demand: 1948-68," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 28-47, March.
- Gerrard, W J & Godfrey, L G, 1998. "Diagnostic Checks for Single-Equation Error-Correction and Autoregressive Distributed Lag Models," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(2), pages 222-37, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.