The Demand For Ldc Exports Of Primary Commodities: The Case Of The Philippines
AbstractThe economic case for taxing exports rests on the elasticity of demand for the exports concerned, but the true values of these elasticities are controversial. The international demand for Philippine exports of coconut products is examined in this paper. The hypothesis that the Philippines is a 'small country' exporter of coconut products is rejected using the specification of a price-normalised demand equation and the implications of this finding are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (04)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-8489
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Warr, Peter G. & Wollmer, Frances, 1996. "The Demand For Ldc Exports Of Primary Commodities: The Case Of The Philippines," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(01), April.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balisacan, Arsenio M., 1991.
"Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-Farm Employment and Rural Poverty in the Philippines,"
1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia
145723, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M, 1993. "Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-farm Employment, and Rural Poverty in the Philippines," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(3), pages 533-62, April.
- Perron, Pierre, 1988.
"Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series : Further evidence from a new approach,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 297-332.
- Perron, P., 1986. "Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconomic Time Series: Further Evidence From a New Approach," Cahiers de recherche 8650, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bautista, Romeo M, 1978. "Interrelated Products and the Elasticity of Export Supply in Developing Countries," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(1), pages 181-94, February.
- Krugman, Paul, 1989.
"Differences in income elasticities and trends in real exchange rates,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1031-1046, May.
- Paul Krugman, 1988. "Differences In Income Elasticities and Trends in Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 2761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Sam Ouliaris, 1987.
"Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
847R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1988.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Ouliaris, S, 1990. "Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 165-93, January.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Loretan, Mico, 1991.
"Estimating Long-run Economic Equilibria,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 407-36, May.
- Coxhead, Ian A. & Warr, Peter G., 1995.
"Does Technical Progress In Agriculture Alleviate Poverty? A Philippine Case Study,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 39(01), April.
- Ian A. Coxhead & Peter G. Warr, 1995. "Does Technical Progress In Agriculture Alleviate Poverty? A Philippine Case Study," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 39(1), pages 25-54, 04.
- Riedel, James, 1988. "The Demand for LDC Exports of Manufactures: Estimates from Hong Kong," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(389), pages 138-48, March.
- Muscatelli, Vito Antonio & Srinivasan, T G & Vines, David, 1992. "Demand and Supply Factors in the Determination of NIE Exports: A Simultaneous Error-Correction Model for Hong Kong Exports," CEPR Discussion Papers 671, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Premachandra Athukorala & James Riedel, 1991. "The small country assumption: A reassessment with evidence from Korea," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 138-151, March.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S, 1978. "The Supply and Demand for Exports: A Simultaneous Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 275-86, May.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Hansen, Bruce E, 1990.
"Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125, January.
- Tom Doan, . "FM: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using Fully Modified Least Squares," Statistical Software Components RTS00069, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Khuele, P.R.S. & Darroch, Mark A.G., 1997. "Demand and supply factors in the export of South African fresh oranges to the United Kingdom: 1976-1993," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 36(4), December.
- Waschik, Robert & Fraser, Iain, 2007.
"A computable general equilibrium analysis of export taxes in the Australian wool industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 712-736, July.
- Fraser, Iain & Waschik, Robert, 2006. "A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis of Export Taxes in the Australian Wool Industry," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 139733, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Peter Warr, 2002. "Export taxes and income distribution: The Philippines coconut levy," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 437-458, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.