Demand and Supply Factors in the Determination of NIE Exports: A Simultaneous Error-Correction Model for Hong Kong Exports
AbstractThis paper considers the issue of whether a small developing economy such as Hong Kong faces a perfectly elastic demand for its exports of manufactured goods. We construct a simultaneous demand and supply system which is estimated using Full Information Maximum Likelihood methods, and which allows us to clearly identify demand and supply factors in determining export volumes and prices. Our empirical findings differ from previous studies conducted with this data set in that they suggest that even a small dynamic newly industrialized economy such as Hong Kong may not face infinitely elastic demand for its manufactured goods. We also advance some reasons to explain why the `small country assumption' may not be applicable in the case of most industrialized economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 671.
Date of creation: Jun 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Bardaka, Ioanna C., 2010.
"New trade theory, non-price competitiveness and export performance,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 217-228, January.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Bardaka, Ioanna, 2010. "New trade theory, non-price competitiveness and export performance," MPRA Paper 32047, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koi Nyen Wong & Tuck Cheong Tang, 2009.
"Exchange rate variability and the export demand for Malaysia's semiconductors: an empirical study,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(6), pages 695-706.
- Koi Nyen Wong & Tuck Cheong Tang, 2007. "Exchange Rate Variability And The Export Demand For Malaysia'S Semiconductors: An Empirical Study," Development Research Unit Working Paper Series 13-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Kirsanova, Tatiana & Menzies, Gordon & Vines, David, 2007. "Stiglitz Versus the IMF on the Asian Debt Crisis: An Intertemporal Model with Real Exchange Rate Overshooting," CEPR Discussion Papers 6318, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter G. Warr & Frances J. Wollmer, 1996.
"The International Demand for Thailand's Rice Exports,"
Departmental Working Papers
1996-10, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prof Peter G. Warr & Fracnes J. Wollmer, 1996. "The International Demand for Thailand's Rice Exports," Trade and Development 96/10, Australian National University, Department of Economics.
- Peter G. Warr & Frances Wollmer, 1996.
"The Demand For Ldc Exports Of Primary Commodities: The Case Of The Philippines,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(1), pages 37-49, 04.
- Warr, Peter G. & Wollmer, Frances, 1996. "The Demand For Ldc Exports Of Primary Commodities: The Case Of The Philippines," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(01), April.
- Shah, Shekhar & Mishra, Deepak & Panagariya, Arvind, 1996.
"Demand elasticities in international trade : are they really low?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1712, The World Bank.
- Panagariya, Arvind & Shah, Shekhar & Mishra, Deepak, 2001. "Demand elasticities in international trade: are they really low?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 313-342, April.
- Mody, Ashoka & Yilmaz, Kamil & DEC, 1994.
"Is there persistence in the growth of manufactured exports? Evidence from newly industrializing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1276, The World Bank.
- Mody, Ashoka & Yilmaz, Kamil, 1997. "Is there persistence in the growth of manufactured exports? Evidence from newly industrializing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 447-470, August.
- Arslan Razmi, 2005. "Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Model: The Case of India," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2005-05, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Tilak Abeysinghe & Keen Meng Choy, 2005.
"Modelling Small Economy Exports: The Case of Singapore,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0501, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Tilak Abeysinghe & Keen Meng Choy, 2005. "Modelling Small Economy Exports : The Case of Singapore," Trade Working Papers 21980, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Peter Warr, 2002. "Export taxes and income distribution: The Philippines coconut levy," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 437-458, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.