A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis of Export Taxes in the Australian Wool Industry
AbstractWe solve for Australia’s optimal export tax on wool using a computable general equilibrium model - an aggregated version of the Monash Model. A key aspect of the analysis is the way in which we model short-run and long-run compara- tive statics. As opposed to varying the Armington elasticity which measures the degree of substitutability between domestic and imported goods, we contrast the unrestricted movement of primary factors of production with a specific-factors representation. We find that while results are virtually unchanged for the range of Armington elasticity values we employ in our sensitivity analysis, the specific- factors specification has a significant impact on model results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia with number 139733.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
optimal export tax; specific-factors; wool; Financial Economics; Livestock Production/Industries; F13; C68; Q17;
Other versions of this item:
- Waschik, Robert & Fraser, Iain, 2007. "A computable general equilibrium analysis of export taxes in the Australian wool industry," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 712-736, July.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gene M. Grossman & James A. Levinsohn, 1990.
"Import Competition and the Stock Market Return to Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
2420, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene M & Levinsohn, James A, 1989. "Import Competition and the Stock Market Return to Capital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1065-87, December.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2001.
"The Optimal Tax on Antebellum U.S. Cotton Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
8689, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Santis, Roberto A, 2000. "Optimal Export Taxes, Welfare, Industry Concentration, and Firm Size: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 319-35, May.
- Schweinberger, A. G., 2002. "Foreign aid, tariffs and nontraded private or public goods," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 255-275, October.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1989. "Optimal trade taxes for a large country with non-atomistic firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 157-167, February.
- Peter G. Warr & Frances Wollmer, 1996.
"The Demand For Ldc Exports Of Primary Commodities: The Case Of The Philippines,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(1), pages 37-49, 04.
- Warr, Peter G. & Wollmer, Frances, 1996. "The Demand For Ldc Exports Of Primary Commodities: The Case Of The Philippines," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(01), April.
- Peter Warr, 2002. "Export taxes and income distribution: The Philippines coconut levy," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 437-458, September.
- Ahammad, Helal & Fane, George, 2000. "The gains from exchange rate unification in Bangladesh," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 91-106, January.
- Rutherford, Thomas F. & Rutstrom, E.E. & Tarr, David, 1993. "Morocco's free trade agreement with the European community : a quantitative assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1173, The World Bank.
- Mayer, Wolfgang, 1974. "Short-Run and Long-Run Equilibrium for a Small Open Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(5), pages 955-67, Sept./Oct.
- Repetto, Robert, 1972. "Optimal Export Taxes in the Short and Long Run, and an Application to Pakistan's Jute Export Policy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 396-406, August.
- Phil Simmons & Phillip Hansen, 1997. "The effect of buyer concentration on prices in the Australian wool market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 423-430.
- Hong Hwang & Chao-cheng Mai, 1999. "Optimal Export Taxes with an Endogenous Location," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(4), pages 940-952, April.
- Premachandra Athukorala & James Riedel, 1991. "The small country assumption: A reassessment with evidence from Korea," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 138-151, March.
- Wiig, Henrik & Aune, Jens B. & Glomsrod, Solveig & Iversen, Vegard, 2001. "Structural adjustment and soil degradation in Tanzania: A CGE model approach with endogenous soil productivity," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 263-287, March.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:1992.17 is not listed on IDEAS
- J. M. Alston & J. D. Mullen, 1992. "Economic Effects Of Research Into Traded Goods: The Case Of Australian Wool," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 268-278.
- Mussa, Michael, 1974. "Tariffs and the Distribution of Income: The Importance of Factor Specificity, Substitutability, and Intensity in the Short and Long Run," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1191-1203, Nov.-Dec..
- Yilmaz, Kamil, 1999. "Optimal export taxes in a multicountry framework," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 439-465, December.
- C. Angel & Stephen Beare & A.C. Zwart, 1990. "Product Characteristics And Arbitrage In The Australian And New Zealand Wool Markets," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 34(1), pages 67-79, 04.
- Peter Bardsley, 1992.
"The Collapse of the Australian Wool Reserve Price Scheme,"
1992.17, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Bardsley, Peter, 1994. "The Collapse of the Australian Wool Reserve Price Scheme," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1087-1105, September.
- Kamil Yilmaz, 2006. "How much should primary commodity exports be taxed? Nash and Stackelberg equilibria in the Global Cocoa Market," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 1-26.
- Ronald W. Jones, 1965. "The Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 557.
- Angel, C. & Beare, Stephen & Zwart, A.C., 1990. "Product Characteristics And Arbitrage In The Australian And New Zealand Wool Markets," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 34(01), April.
- Cashin, P. & McDermott, C. J., 1997.
"'Riding on the Sheep's Back': Examining Australia's Dependence on Wool Exports,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
585, The University of Melbourne.
- Cashin, Paul & McDermott, C John, 2002. "'Riding on the Sheep's Back': Examining Australia's Dependence on Wool Exports," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 78(242), pages 249-63, September.
- Peter G. Warr, 2001. "Welfare Effects of an Export Tax: Thailand's Rice Premium," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 903-920.
- Adams, Philip D., 1987. "Agricultural Supply Response in ORANI," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 55(03), December.
- Haszler, Henry, et al, 1996. "The Wool Debt, the Wool Stockpile and the National Interest: Did the Garnaut Committee Get It Right?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 72(218), pages 260-71, September.
- Fraser, Iain & Waschik, Robert, 2013. "The Double Dividend hypothesis in a CGE model: Specific factors and the carbon base," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 283-295.
- Olga Solleder, 2013. "Panel Export Taxes (PET) Dataset: New Data on Export Tax Rates," IHEID Working Papers 07-2013, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised 04 Apr 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.