Politics-Business Interaction Paths
AbstractCountries characterized by strong workersâ€™ political rights tend to exhibit a strong and concentrated corporate ownership structure. One explanation is that employees' political rights influence corporate governance: systems characterised by strong employees' rights tend to be balanced by strong and concentrated owners. In this approach, the separation between ownership and control is only possible when unions and social democratic parties are sufficiently weak. In this paper we argue that causation runs also in the opposite direction (from strong concentrated ownership to strong employees' protection) and leads to multiple equilibria characterized by alternative interaction paths of Politics and Corporate Governance. To empirically assess our theoretical arguments, we run Bayesian simultaneous equation estimation and perform Bayesian model comparison of the various theories for employment protection determination. We obtain that the concentration model is more likely than other models in the determination of employment protection. We conclude by exploring economic policy implications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics in its series Working Papers with number 109.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
employment protection; corporate governance; ownership concentration; Bayesian model estimation; Bayesian model comparison.;
Other versions of this item:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- J50 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - General
- K22 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Business and Securities Law
- P10 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Belloc, Marianna & Pagano, Ugo, 2009. "Co-evolution of politics and corporate governance," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 106-114, June.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 2003.
"What Works in Securities Law?,"
NBER Working Papers
9882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianna Belloc & Samuel Bowles, 2009.
"International Trade, Factor Mobility and the Persistence of Cultural-Institutional Diversity,"
UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers
2009-08, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Marianna Belloc & Samuel Bowles, 2009. "International Trade, Factor Mobility and the Persistence of Cultural-Institutional Diversity," CESifo Working Paper Series 2762, CESifo Group Munich.
- Marianna Belloc & Samuel Bowles, 2010. "International Trade, Factor Mobility and the Persistence of Cultural-Institutional Diversity," Levine's Working Paper Archive 661465000000000051, David K. Levine.
- Ugo Pagano, 2007. "Cultural globalisation, institutional diversity and the unequal accumulation of intellectual capital," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(5), pages 649-667, September.
- Holger M. Mueller & Thomas Philippon, 2006.
"Family Firms, Paternalism, and Labor Relations,"
NBER Working Papers
12739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ugo Pagano & Maria Alessandra Rossi, 2009. "The crash of the knowledge economy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 665-683, July.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1994. "Comparing Equilibria," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 441-59, June.
- Pagano, Marco & Volpin, Paolo, 2001.
"The Political Economy of Corporate Governance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2682, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Randall K. Morck, 2000. "Concentrated Corporate Ownership," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number morc00-1, September.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998.
"Law and Finance,"
3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nathan Nunn, 2007.
"Relationship-Specificity, Incomplete Contracts, and the Pattern of Trade,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 122(2), pages 569-600, 05.
- Nunn, Nathan, 2007. "Relationship-Specificity, Incomplete Contracts, and the Pattern of Trade," Scholarly Articles 4686801, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Nathan Nunn, 2005. "Relationship Specificity, Incomplete Contracts and the Pattern of Trade," International Trade 0512018, EconWPA.
- Richard, J. F. & Steel, M. F. J., 1988. "Bayesian analysis of systems of seemingly unrelated regression equations under a recursive extended natural conjugate prior density," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 7-37.
- Andrei A. Levchenko, 2004.
"Institutional Quality and International Trade,"
IMF Working Papers
04/231, International Monetary Fund.
- G. Ecchia & M. Gelter & P. Pasotti, 2011.
"Corporate Governance, Corporate and Employment Law, and the Costs of Expropriation,"
wp735, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Ecchia Giulio & Gelter Martin & Pasotti Piero, 2012. "Corporate Governance, Corporate and Employment Law, and the Costs of Expropriation," Review of Law & Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 457-486, October.
- Costinot, Arnaud, 2007.
"On the Origins of Comparative Advantage,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt07g7g8h8, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Kishore Gawande, 1998. "Comparing Theories Of Endogenous Protection: Bayesian Comparison Of Tobit Models Using Gibbs Sampling Output," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(1), pages 128-140, February.
- Koop, Gary M & Tobias, Justin, 2004. "Learning About Heterogeneity in Returns to Schooling," Staff General Research Papers 12008, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- repec:aea:jeclit:v:43:y:2005:i:3:p:655-720 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marco Becht & J. Bradford DeLong, 2005. "Why Has There Been So Little Block Holding in America?," NBER Chapters, in: A History of Corporate Governance around the World: Family Business Groups to Professional Managers, pages 613-666 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Koop & Dale Poirier & Justin Tobias, 2003. "Bayesian Semiparametric Inference in Multiple Equation Models," Discussion Papers in Economics 04/17, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
NBER Working Papers
6625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Clarke, G. & Groff, A. & Keefer , P. & Walsh, P., 2001. "New tools in comparative political economy: The database of political institutions," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125517, Tilburg University.
- van Dijk, H.K., 2002. "On Bayesian structural inference in a simultaneous equation model," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2002-10, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Dreze, Jacques H. & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1983. "Bayesian analysis of simultaneous equation systems," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 9, pages 517-598 Elsevier.
- Randall K. Morck, 2005. "A History of Corporate Governance around the World: Family Business Groups to Professional Managers," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number morc05-1, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.