A New Measure of Brand Personality
AbstractIn response to criticism on brand personality measures that embrace other aspects besides brand personality, we developed a new brand personality measure consisting of personality items only. 12,789 Belgian respondents participated in a study on 193 brands. The new scale consists of five factors that show an affinity with the Big Five of human personality. Unlike existing scales, this new measure proved to be reliable for between-brand between-category comparisons, for between-brand within-category comparisons, and for between-respondent comparisons. Moreover, the scale showed high test-retest reliability and cross-cultural validity (in the US and nine other European countries).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration in its series Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium with number 08/545.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Brand personality; brand attitude; scale development; scale reliability; scale validity.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hosany, Sameer & Ekinci, Yuksel & Uysal, Muzaffer, 2006. "Destination image and destination personality: An application of branding theories to tourism places," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 638-642, May.
- Plummer, Joseph T., 2000. "How Personality Makes a Difference," Journal of Advertising Research, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(06), pages 79-84, November.
- Milas, Goran & Mlacic, Boris, 2007. "Brand personality and human personality: Findings from ratings of familiar Croatian brands," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(6), pages 620-626, June.
- Fournier, Susan, 1998. " Consumers and Their Brands: Developing Relationship Theory in Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(4), pages 343-73, March.
- Caprara, Gian Vittorio & Barbaranelli, Claudio & Guido, Gianluigi, 2001. "Brand personality: How to make the metaphor fit?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 377-395, June.
- Johan Rekom & Gabriele Jacobs & Peeter Verlegh, 2006. "Measuring and managing the essence of a brand personality," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 181-192, July.
- Sirgy, M Joseph, 1982. " Self-Concept in Consumer Behavior: A Critical Review," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(3), pages 287-300, December.
- Aaker, Jennifer L, 2000. " Accessibility or Diagnosticity? Disentangling the Influence of Culture on Persuasion Processes and Attitudes," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(4), pages 340-57, March.
- Aaker, Jennifer L., 2000. "Accessibility or Diagnosticity? Disentangling the Influence of Culture on Persuasion Processes and Attitudes," Research Papers 1579, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Belk, Russell W, 1988. " Possessions and the Extended Self," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(2), pages 139-68, September.
- Sven Tischer, 2012. "Measuring the impact of critical incidents on brand personality," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-064, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.