Agri-food exports and the enlarged european union
AbstractThis paper explores agri-food export dynamics in New Member States (NMS) and Old Member States (OMS) of the European Union during the enlargement process. A quality-oriented survey is conducted by developing an original analytical framework which combines information from trade similarity analysis with elements from the sophistication literature. Country and sector specific features seem to emerge, revealing a more complex picture than that produced by aggregated trade analysis. While for some NMS agri-food exports, patterns converge towards OMS with regard to size, competitiveness and quality improvement process, for other NMS, a low-quality trap seems to prevail
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - University Roma Tre in its series Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' with number 0134.
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy
Phone: +39 06 57114612
Fax: +39 06 57114771
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/dipartimenti/economia/it/
More information through EDIRC
Agri-food sector; export dynamics; EU enlargement; quality upgrading;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-12-13 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2011-12-13 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INT-2011-12-13 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Uwe Dulleck & Neil Foster & Robert Stehrer & Julia Woerz, 2005. "Dimensions of quality upgrading," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(1), pages 51-76, 01.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2009.
"Quality Sorting And Trade: Firm-Level Evidence For French Wine,"
53883, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Matthieu Crozet & Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2012. "Quality Sorting and Trade: Firm-level Evidence for French Wine," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 79(2), pages 609-644.
- Matthieu Crozet & Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2009. "Quality sorting and trade: Firm-level evidence for French wine," Sciences Po publications 7295, Sciences Po.
- Matthieu Crozet & Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2009. "Quality Sorting and Trade: Firm-Level Evidence for French Wine," Working Papers 2009-14, CEPII research center.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2009. "Quality sorting and trade: Firm-level evidence for French wine," CEPR Discussion Papers 7295, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Weiss, John & Zhang, Jinkang, 2006. "The "sophistication" of exports: A new trade measure," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 222-237, February.
- Jože P. Damijan & Črt Kostevc, 2006. "Learning-by-Exporting: Continuous Productivity Improvements or Capacity Utilization Effects? Evidence from Slovenian Firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(3), pages 599-614, October.
- Finger, J M & Kreinin, M E, 1979. "A Measure of 'Export Similarity' and Its Possible Uses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 905-12, December.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002.
"Economic Development as Self Discovery,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3356, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Dani Rodrik, 2002. "Economic Development as Self-Discovery," NBER Working Papers 8952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "Economic Development as Self-Discovery," Working Paper Series rwp02-023, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Rikard Forslid & Jan I. Haaland & Karen Helene M. Knarvik & Ottar Maestad, 2002. "Integration and transition: Scenarios for the location of production and trade in Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(1), pages 93-117, March.
- Nahuis, Richard, 2004.
"One size fits all?: Accession to the internal market; an industry-level assessment of EU enlargement,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 571-586, July.
- Richard Nahuis, 2002. "One size fits all? Accession to the internal market; an industry level assessment of EU enlargement," CPB Discussion Paper 14, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Hertel, Thomas W & Brockmeier, Martina & Swaminathan, Padma V, 1997. "Sectoral and Economy-Wide Analysis of Integrating Central and Eastern Europe Countries into the EU: Implications of Alternative Strategies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 24(3-4), pages 359-86.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Joseph F. Francois & Richard Portes, 1997. "The costs and benefits of eastern enlargement: the impact on the EU and central Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 125-176, 04.
- Luca Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2007.
"Economic integration and similarity in trade structures,"
Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 117-137, April.
- Lucia Tajoli & Lucia De Benedictis, 2006. "Economic Integration and Similarity in Trade Structures," Working Papers 2006.54, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Hallak, Juan Carlos, 2006. "Product quality and the direction of trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 238-265, January.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr & Roland Schmidt, 2007. "Trade in Western and Eastern Europe in the aftermath of COMECON: an assessment of behavioral change," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(1), pages 102-126, January.
- Asier Minondo, 2010. "Exports' quality-adjusted productivity and economic growth," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 257-287.
- Rollo, Jim, 1995. "EU enlargement and the world trade system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 467-473, April.
- Kellman, Mitchell & Schroder, Tim, 1983. "The Export Similarity Index: Some Structural Tests," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(369), pages 193-98, March.
- Luca De Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2007. "Openness, similarity in export composition, and income dynamics," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 93-116.
- Jakab, Zoltan M. & Kovacs, Mihaly A. & Oszlay, Andras, 2001. "How Far Has Trade Integration Advanced?: An Analysis of the Actual and Potential Trade of Three Central and Eastern European Countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 276-292, June.
- Svatos, Miroslav & Smutka, Lubos & Smutka, B.A.M. & Mousbah, S.A.A., 2013. "Development of Visegrad Countriesâ€™ Agricultural Trade in Relation to Agricultural Production Development," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 5(1), March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Telephone for information).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.