Economic Integration and Similarity in Trade Structures
AbstractIn this paper we look at the similarity of trade structures in an integrating area. In particular, we analyse the export flows toward the EU market of four of the so-called “accession countries" of Central and Eastern Europe by comparing them to those of the pre-2004 members of the European Union (EU15). From a methodological point of view, we evaluate the appropriateness of different classes of similarity indices - correlation indices and distance metrics - opting for the use of the Bray-Curtis semi-metric to assess changes in the trade similarity. We examine its evolution over time - from 1989 to 2001 - considering both self-similarity (how the export composition of a CEEC has changed with respect to the beginning of the transition process) and EU-similarity (if and how the export composition of a CEEC has changed with respect to the EU15 export composition). Finally, we use EU-similarity matrices to test if the dynamics of sectoral distribution of total exports of Poland, Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria to the EU is related to the role acquired by processed trade in the 1990s. Using a nonparametric Mantel test we give evidence that: (1) processed trade is crucial in explaining changes in the overall structure of exports of transition countries, and (2) that greater economic integration in terms of trade flows and processing trade does not always lead to greater export similarity between the CEECs and the EU15 member States.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2006.54.
Date of creation: Apr 2006
Date of revision:
EU; CEECs; Transition; Similarity; Nonparametrics;
Other versions of this item:
- Luca Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2007. "Economic integration and similarity in trade structures," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 117-137, April.
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-05-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-05-20 (European Economics)
- NEP-INT-2006-05-20 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Forslid, Rikard & Haaland, Jan I. & Ulltveit-Moe, Karen-Helene, 1999.
"A U-Shaped Europe? A Simulation Study of Industrial Location,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2247, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Forslid, Rikard & Haaland, Jan I. & Midelfart Knarvik, Karen Helene, 2002. "A U-shaped Europe?: A simulation study of industrial location," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 273-297, August.
- Forslid, R. & Haaland, J.I. & Knarvik, K.H.M., 1999. "A U-Shaped Europe? A Simulation Study of Industrial Location," Papers 19/99, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Michael A. Landesmann & Robert Stehrer, 2002. "Evolving Competitiveness of CEEC’s in an Enlarged Europe," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 92(1), pages 23-88, January-F.
- Jan Svejnar, 2002.
"Transition Economies: Performance and Challenges,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 3-28, Winter.
- Clark, Todd E. & van Wincoop, Eric, 2001.
"Borders and business cycles,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 59-85, October.
- Facchini, Giovanni & Segnana, Maria Luigia, 2003. "Growth at the EU periphery: the next enlargement," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 827-862.
- Halpern, László, 1994. "Comparative Advantage and Likely Trade Pattern of the CEECs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1003, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean IMBS, 1998.
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9819, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Redding, Stephen, 2002.
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 299-334, December.
- Yew-Kwang Ng & Guang-Zhen Sun, 2000. "The measurement of structural differences between economies: An axiomatic characterization," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 313-321.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Djankov, Simeon, 1997. "Determinants of the Export Structure of Countries in Central and Eastern Europe," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(3), pages 471-87, September.
- Paul Brenton & Miriam Manchin, 2002.
"Making EU Trade Agreements Work: The Role of Rules of Origin,"
- Paul Brenton & Miriam Manchin, 2003. "Making EU Trade Agreements Work: The Role of Rules of Origin," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(5), pages 755-769, 05.
- Jayant Menon & Peter Dixon, 1997. "Intra-industry versus inter-industry trade: Relevance for adjustment costs," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 164-169, March.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1981. "Intraindustry Specialization and the Gains from Trade," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 959-73, October.
- Qureshi, M.S. & Wan, Guanghua, 2008.
"Trade Expansion of China and India: Threat or Opportunity,"
Working Paper Series
RP2008/08, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Guanghua Wan, 2008. "Trade Expansion of China and India: Threat or Opportunity?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(10), pages 1327-1350, October.
- Alessandro Antimiani & Anna Carbone & Valeria Costantini & Roberto Henke, 2011. "Agri-food exports and the enlarged european union," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0134, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Nuno Crespo & Nádia Simões & José Duarte, 2013. "Competition in tourism arrivals – A multidimensional index of geographical structural similarity," Working Papers Series 2 13-05, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL).
- Diana Petkova, 2006. "Cultural Diversity in People’s Attitudes and Perceptions," Working Papers 2006.56, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- CRESPO, Nuno & FONTOURA, María Paula, 2010.
"Determinant Factors Of Structural Similarity At The Regional Level: Evidence From Portugal,"
Applied Econometrics and International Development,
Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(1).
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2009. "Determinant factors of structural similarity at the regional level: evidence from Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 2009/28, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Aleksandra Parteka, 2013.
"The Evolving Structure Of Polish Exports (1994-2010) – Diversification Of Products And Trade Partners,"
GUT FME Working Paper Series A
10, Faculty of Management and Economics, Gdansk University of Technology.
- Aleksandra Parteka, 2013. "The evolving structure of Polish exports (1994−2010) – diversification of products and trade partners," Bank i Kredyt, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 44(5), pages 435-466.
- Alessia Lo Turco & Aleksandra Parteka, 2009. "The EU enlargement and domestic employment," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 2202-2217.
- Suppanunta Romprasert, 2013. "Asian Economic Community with Selected Macroeconomic Variables for Exports Sustainability," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(3), pages 602-605.
- Claudiu T. Albulescu, 2011. "Economic and Financial Integration of CEECs: The Impact of Financial Instability," Czech Economic Review, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 5(1), pages 027-045, March.
- Mahvash Saeed Qureshi, 2008. "Africa's Oil Abundance and External Competitiveness," IMF Working Papers 08/172, International Monetary Fund.
- John J. Betancur, 2006. "From Outsiders to On-Paper Equals to Cultural Curiosities? The Trajectory of Diversity in the USA," Working Papers 2006.57, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Alessia Lo Turco & Aleksandra Parteka, 2009. "Empirical investigation on labour market interactions in an enlarged Europe," Bank i Kredyt, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 40(1), pages 87-105.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.