Disentangling employment and wage rigidity
AbstractWe use matched employer-employees data for Italy to study the joint response of wages and employment to firm-level shocks. We construct a simple dynamic general equilibrium model of labor demand and supply that allows us to identify separately firing (or internal) and mobility (or external) adjustment costs. We show that the two type of costs cannot be discriminated empirically by looking at labor or wage adjustment separately. Mobility costs have distinctive implications on wage response to firm-level employment changes but they can only be identified with worker-level information on wages. We find that both types of costs are present, but the internal component accounts for a large share of total adjustment costs. Our results are consistent with a labor market where workers are fairly mobile within locations but scarcely mobile across them
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2006 Meeting Papers with number 536.
Date of creation: 03 Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Adjustment costs; mobility costs; matched employer-employees data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donghoon Lee & Kenneth I. Wolpin, 2006.
"Intersectoral Labor Mobility and the Growth of the Service Sector,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(1), pages 1-46, 01.
- Donghoon Lee & Kenneth I. Wolpin, 2004. "Intersectoral Labor Mobility and the Growth of the Service Sector," PIER Working Paper Archive 04-036, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Moshe Buchinsky & Denis Fougère & Francis Kramarz & Rusty Tchernis, 2008.
"Interfirm Mobility, Wages, and the Returns to Seniority and Experience in the U.S,"
Caepr Working Papers
2008-006, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Moshe Buchinsky & Denis Fougère & Francis Kramarz & Rusty Tchernis, 2002. "Interfirm Mobility, Wages and the Returns to Seniority and Experience in the U.S," Working Papers 2002-29, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Buchinsky, Moshe & Fougère, Denis & Kramarz, Francis & Tchernis, Rusty, 2005. "Interfirm Mobility, Wages, and the Returns to Seniority and Experience in the U.S," IZA Discussion Papers 1521, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Luigi Guiso & Fabiano Schivardi, 2000.
"Information Spillovers and Factor Adjustment,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
368, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Nilsen, Øivind Anti & Salvanes, Kjell G. & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 2003.
"Employment Changes, the Structure of Adjustment Costs, and Plant Size,"
Working Papers in Economics
11/03, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Nilsen, Oivind A. & Salvanes, Kjell G. & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 2007. "Employment changes, the structure of adjustment costs, and plant size," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 577-598, April.
- Oivind A. Nilsen & Kjell G. Salvanes & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2003. "Employment Changes, the Structure of Adjustment Costs, and Plant Size," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 586, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Nilsen, Øivind Anti & Salvanes, Kjell G. & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 2003. "Employment Changes, the Structure of Adjustment Costs, and Plant Size," IZA Discussion Papers 920, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Russel W. Cooper & John C. Haltiwanger & Jonathan Willis, 2004.
"Dynamics of Labor Demand: Evidence from Plant-level Observations and Aggregate Implications,"
NBER Working Papers
10297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Russell Cooper & John Haltiwanger & Jonathan L. Willis, 2003. "Dynamics of labor demand : evidence from plant-level observations and aggregate implications," Research Working Paper RWP 03-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Lia Pacelli & Andrea Borgarello, 2004.
"Employment Protection Legislation and the Size of Firms,"
Giornale degli Economisti,
GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 63(1), pages 33-68, April.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Lia Pacelli & Andrea Borgarello, 2003. "Employment Protection Legislation and the Size of Firms," Working Papers 247, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Andrea Borgarello & Pietro Garibaldi & Lia Pacelli, 2003. "Employment Protection Legislation and the Size of Firms," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 23, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Garibaldi, Pietro & Pacelli, Lia & Borgarello, Andrea, 2003. "Employment Protection Legislation and the Size of Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 787, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alonso-Borrego, Cesar, 1998. "Demand for labour inputs and adjustment costs: evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 475-497, December.
- Fabiano Schivardi & Roberto Torrini, 2004.
"Threshold Effects and Firm Size: the Case of Firing Costs,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0633, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Roberto Torrini & Fabiano Schivardi, 2004. "Threshold effects and firm size: The case of firing costs," 2004 Meeting Papers 445, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Fabiano Schivardi & Roberto Torrini, 2004. "Threshold effects and firm size: the case of firing costs," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19956, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.