The Effect of the European Union Customs Union on the Balance of Trade in Turkey
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of the customs union between Turkey and the European Union on the balance of trade in Turkey. The framework for analysis is an extended trade gravity model onto which the impact of the customs union is applied. The gravity model of trade is estimated using dynamic panel data which applies the Generalized Method of Moments to a sample of OECD countries. Separate estimates were made for the periods before and after the process of trade liberalization in Turkey – 1980-1995 and 1996-2012, respectively – as well as for the full period – 1980-2012. The main conclusion is that when the European Union is accounted for as an econometric variable, the empirical results are striking: Turkey’s gains resulting from taking part in the customs union are noteworthy, with significant improvement in the trade balance with European Union countries. However, the trade flows, and specifically imports, have been mainly with OECD countries that are themselves not members of the EU. The model indicates that external common tariffs are responsible for Turkey’s trade growth rather than tariffs abolished in the internal market of the customs union.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 54662.
Date of creation: 2014
Date of revision:
Gravity model; GMM; Customs Union; European Union; OECD countries; Turkey.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-03-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2014-03-30 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-INT-2014-03-30 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carrere, Celine, 2006. "Revisiting the effects of regional trade agreements on trade flows with proper specification of the gravity model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 223-247, February.
- Facchini, Giovanni & Silva, Peri & Willmann, Gerald, 2013.
"The customs union issue: Why do we observe so few of them?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 136-147.
- Giovanni Facchini & Peri Silva & Gerald Willmann, 2008. "The Customs Union issue: Why do we observe so few of them?," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0827, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Facchini, Giovanni & Silva, Peri & Willmann, Gerald, 2012. "The Customs Union issue: Why do we observe so few of them?," CEPR Discussion Papers 9135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giovanni Facchini & Peri A. Silva & Gerald Willmann, 2008. "The Customs Union Issue: Why do we Observe so few of them?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2426, CESifo Group Munich.
- Richard E. Baldwin, 1996. "Progressive economic integration: making the magic work again," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(2), pages 512-514, October.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999.
"Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data,"
1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000. "Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2004.
"Some cautions on the use of panel methods for integrated series of macroeconomic data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 322-340, December.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, . "Some Cautions on the Use of Panel Methods for Integrated Series of Macro-Economic Data," Working Papers 170, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Banerjee, A. & Marcellino, M. & Osbat, C., 2000. "Some Cautions on the Use of Panel Methods for Integrated Series of Macro-economic Data," Economics Working Papers eco2000/20, European University Institute.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, .
"Testing for PPP: Should We Use Panel Methods?,"
186, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Dai, Mian & Yotov, Yoto V. & Zylkin, Thomas, 2014. "On the trade-diversion effects of free trade agreements," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 321-325.
- Choi, In, 2001. "Unit root tests for panel data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 249-272, April.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann & Dierk Herzer & Inmaculada Martinez-Zarzoso & Sebastian Vollmer, 2007.
"The Impact of a Customs Union between Turkey and the EU on Turkey's Exports to the EU,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 719-743, 09.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann Danzinger & Dierk Herzer & Inmaculada Martinez-Zarzoso & Sebastian Vollmer, 2005. "The Impact of a Customs Union between Turkey and the EU on Turkey's Exports to the EU," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 483, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ghosh, Sucharita & Yamarik, Steven, 2004. "Are regional trading arrangements trade creating?: An application of extreme bounds analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 369-395, July.
- Jayjit Roy, 2010.
"Do Customs Union Members Engage in More Bilateral Trade than Free-Trade Agreement Members?,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 663-681, 09.
- Jayjit Roy, 2008. "Do Customs Union Members Engage In More Bilateral Trade Than Free Trade Agreement Members?," Departmental Working Papers 0803, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Bilin Neyapti & Fatma Taskin & Murat Ungor, 2004.
"Has European Customs Union Agrement Really Affected Turkey's Trade?,"
Departmental Working Papers
0404, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Bilin Neyaptı & Fatma Taskın & Murat Ungor, 2007. "Has European Customs Union Agreement really affected Turkey's trade?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(16), pages 2121-2132.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Stein, Ernesto & Wei, Shang-jin, 1995. "Trading blocs and the Americas: The natural, the unnatural, and the super-natural," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 61-95, June.
- Arjan M. Lejour & Ruud A. de Mooij, 2004.
"Turkish Delight – Does Turkey’s accession to the EU bring economic benefits?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1183, CESifo Group Munich.
- Arjan M. Lejour & Ruud A. Mooij, 2005. "Turkish Delight: Does Turkey's Accession to the EU Bring Economic Benefits?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 87-120, 02.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Xiangming Li, 2003. "Trade Liberalization and Real Exchange Rate Movement," IMF Working Papers 03/124, International Monetary Fund.
- Amelia Santos-Paulino & A. P. Thirlwall, 2004. "The impact of trade liberalisation on exports, imports and the balance of payments of developing countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages F50-F72, 02.
- Krueger, Anne O., 1997.
"Free trade agreements versus customs unions,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 169-187, October.
- Antonis Adam & Thomas Moutos, 2008. "The Trade Effects of the EU-Turkey Customs Union," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(5), pages 685-700, 05.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Innwon Park & Soonchan Park, 2009.
"Free Trade Agreements versus Customs Unions: An Examination of East Asia,"
Asian Economic Papers,
MIT Press, vol. 8(2), pages 119-139, June.
- Park, Innwon & Park, Soonchan, 2008. "Free Trade Agreements versus Customs Unions: An Examination of East Asia," MPRA Paper 11301, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- K. Ali Akkemik, 2011. "Customs Union and Competitiveness of Turkish Exports in the EU Market: A Dynamic Shift-Share Analysis," Global Journal of Emerging Market Economies, Emerging Markets Forum, vol. 3(2), pages 247-274, May.
- Matthieu Bussière & Jarko Fidrmuc & Bernd Schnatz, 2008. "EU Enlargement and Trade Integration: Lessons from a Gravity Model," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 562-576, 08.
- A. Clausing , Kimberly, 2000. "Customs Unions and Free Trade Areas," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 15, pages 418-435.
- Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada & Felicitas, Nowak-Lehmann D. & Horsewood, Nicholas, 2009. "Are regional trading agreements beneficial?: Static and dynamic panel gravity models," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 46-65, March.
- Yi Wu & Li Zeng, 2008. "The Impact of Trade Liberalizationon the Trade Balance in Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 08/14, International Monetary Fund.
- Penelope Pacheco-Lopez & A. P. Thirlwall, 2007. "Trade Liberalisation and the Trade-Off Between Growth and the Balance of Payments in Latin America," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 469-490.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.