Customs Unions and Free Trade Areas
AbstractThis paper compares free trade areas and customs unions in terms of their potential to liberalize trade. While neither arrangement is shown to be unambiguously preferable, this paper generates specific conditions that determine when customs unions are preferred to free trade areas. The ranking of the two arrangements depends on how common external tariffs are set in customs unions, the restrictiveness of rules of origin in free trade agreements, and the original tariff levels among the member countries.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): ()
Customs Unions; Free Trade Areas; Rules of Origin;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ketenci, Natalya, 2014. "The Effect of the European Union Customs Union on the Balance of Trade in Turkey," MPRA Paper 54662, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jayjit Roy, 2010.
"Do Customs Union Members Engage in More Bilateral Trade than Free-Trade Agreement Members?,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 663-681, 09.
- Jayjit Roy, 2008. "Do Customs Union Members Engage In More Bilateral Trade Than Free Trade Agreement Members?," Departmental Working Papers 0803, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- L. Alan Winters, 2000. "Regionalism and Multilateralism in the Twenty-First Century," IDB Publications 8749, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.