Economic and Employment Effects of Microloans in a Transition Country
AbstractOver the last years, microloans to small and medium-sized enterprises have grown in significance in many countries of Central and Eastern Europe. Empirical evidence on the economic and social impact of microfinance is, however, scant. In trying to shed more light on this important issue, this paper uses a case study and analyzes the economic impacts of the microloan programme of the Latvian development bank Hipoteku Banka. We analyse a dataset provided by the Hipoteku Banka and use economic indicators of Latvia and its regions as comparisons. We find that the firms that were granted a loan from Hipoteku Banka on average considerably increased their employment during the loan period. In addition, a survey was carried among the clients of the bank. The survey results imply that the microloan program made a clear contribution to supporting existing firms and establishing new businesses, although the impact varies across sectors of economic activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 52736.
Date of creation: Jan 2014
Date of revision:
Microcredit; Employment; Economic Growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-01-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-MFD-2014-01-10 (Microfinance)
- NEP-TRA-2014-01-10 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jessica Schicks, 2007. "Developmental Impact and Coexistence of Sustainable and Charitable Microfinance Institutions: Analysing BancoSol and Grameen Bank," European Journal of Development Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 551-568.
- repec:fth:wobaco:1083 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pretes, Michael, 2002. "Microequity and Microfinance," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1341-1353, August.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2002.
"Does Local Financial Development Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
8923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2002. "Does Local Financial Development Matter?," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3307, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gary Woller, 2002. "From market failure to marketing failure: market orientation as the key to deep outreach in microfinance," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 305-324.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2008.
"The Experimental Approach to Development Economics,"
NBER Working Papers
14467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2009. "The Experimental Approach to Development Economics," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 151-178, 05.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Duflo, Esther, 2008. "The Experimental Approach to Development Economics," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 7037, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2005.
"SMEs, Growth, and Poverty: Cross-Country Evidence,"
Journal of Economic Growth, Springer,
Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 199-229, 09.
- Goldmark, Lara, 2001. "Microenterprise development in Latin America:: Towards a new flexibility," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 145-149, March.
- Francisco J. Buera & Joseph P. Kaboski & Yongseok Shin, 2012.
"The Macroeconomics of Microfinance,"
NBER Working Papers
17905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Conning, Jonathan, 1999. "Outreach, sustainability and leverage in monitored and peer-monitored lending," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 51-77, October.
- Guido Baldi, 2013. "Physical And Human Capital Accumulation And The Evolution Of Income And Inequality," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 38(3), pages 57-83, September.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and growth : Schumpeter might be right,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1083, The World Bank.
- Woolcock, Michael, 2001. "Microenterprise and social capital:: A framework for theory, research, and policy," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 193-198, March.
- Beatriz Armendáriz & Jonathan Morduch, 2010.
"The Economics of Microfinance, Second Edition,"
MIT Press Books, The MIT Press,
The MIT Press,
edition 2, volume 1, number 0262513986, December.
- Caloghirou, Yiannis & Protogerou, Aimilia & Spanos, Yiannis & Papagiannakis, Lefteris, 2004. "Industry-Versus Firm-specific Effects on Performance:: Contrasting SMEs and Large-sized Firms," European Management Journal, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 231-243, April.
- Pissarides, Francesca, 1999. "Is lack of funds the main obstacle to growth? ebrd's experience with small- and medium-sized businesses in central and eastern europe," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 14(5-6), pages 519-539.
- Valentina Hartarska & Claudio Gonzalez-Vega, 2006. "What Affects New and Established Firms’ Expansion? Evidence from Small Firms in Russia," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 195-206, October.
- Ahmad Nawaz, 2010. "Issues in Subsidies and Sustainability of Microfinance: An Empirical Investigation," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 10-010.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.