Issues in Subsidies and Sustainability of Microfinance: An Empirical Investigation
AbstractThe social nature of Microfinance Institutions (MFIs) is mainly financed by subsidies received from the donors. This paper investigates the relationship between the sustainability and the efficiency of microfinance. Using Yaron’s Subsidy Dependence Index (SDI) as a measure of sustainability, a panel data set has been generated from the audit reports of the 179 MFIs worldwide. This essay empirically investigates some important relationships and phenomenons in microfinance. Even after correcting for the endogeneity bias, the results lend some support to the existence of mission drift tendency in microfinance. Notwithstanding interest rate policy, evidence is found that MFIs do charge higher interest rate to women borrowers with small loan sizes. Further, the determinants of MFIs profitability and sustainability have also been identified. Furthermore the evidence does not support the trade-off between outreach and sustainability, however, the trade-off between costs and sustainability of MFIs is well supported. While the productivity and efficiency of MFIs contributes towards sustainability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series Working Papers CEB with number 10-010.RS.
Length: 41 p.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Microfinance; Sustainability; Profitability; Mission Drift;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2010-02-27 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-MFD-2010-02-27 (Microfinance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hudon, Marek & Traca, Daniel, 2011.
"On the Efficiency Effects of Subsidies in Microfinance: An Empirical Inquiry,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 966-973, June.
- Marek Hudon & Daniel Traca, 2006. "On the efficiency effects of subsidies in microfinance: an empirical inquiry," Working Papers CEB 06-020.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Daniel Traca, 2011. "On the Efficiency Effects of Subsidies in Microfinance: An Empirical Inquiry," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/89989, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Janos Kornai & Eric Maskin & Gerard Roland, 2002.
"Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint,"
Economics Working Papers
0019, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 12.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 11.
- J�nos Kornai & Eric Maskin & G�rard Roland, 2003. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1095-1136, December.
- Armendáriz, Beatriz & Szafarz, Ariane, 2011.
"On mission drift in microfinance institutions,"
31041, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Ariane Szafarz, 2009. "On Mission Drift In Microfinance Institutions," Working Papers CEB 09-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Ariane Szafarz, 2011. "On Mission Drift in Microfinance Institutions," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/97387, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cull, Robert & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2006.
"Financial performance and outreach : a global analysis of leading microbanks,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3827, The World Bank.
- Robert Cull & Asli Demirguç-Kunt & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "Financial performance and outreach: a global analysis of leading microbanks," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F107-F133, 02.
- Mersland, Roy & Strøm, R. Øystein, 2010. "Microfinance Mission Drift?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 28-36, January.
- Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-Meza, Jorge, 1998.
"Microcredit And The Poorest Of The Poor: Theory And Evidence From Bolivia,"
Economics and Sociology Occasional Papers
28334, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-meza, Jorge, 2000. "Microcredit and the Poorest of the Poor: Theory and Evidence from Bolivia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 333-346, February.
- Mark Schreiner, 2001. "Seven Aspects of Loan Size," Development and Comp Systems 0109001, EconWPA.
- Yaron, J., 1992. "Assessing Development Finance Institutions; A Public Interest Analysis," World Bank - Discussion Papers 174, World Bank.
- Morduch, Jonathan, 1999. "The role of subsidies in microfinance: evidence from the Grameen Bank," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 229-248, October.
- Baldi, Guido & Sadovskis, Vairis & Šipilova, Viktorija, 2014. "Economic and Employment Effects of Microloans in a Transition Country," MPRA Paper 52736, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sheremenko, Ganna & Escalante, Cesar L. & Florkowski, Wojciech J., 2012. "The Universality of Microfinance Operations Model in Eastern Europe and Central Asia: Financial Sustainability vs. Poverty Outreach," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 123286, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Sheremenko, Ganna & Escalante, Cesar L. & Florkowski, Wojciech J., 2012. "The Road to Financial Sustainability. Comparative Analysis of Russia and the Caucasus Region," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119525, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Dlamini, Menzie S., 2012. "The effect of subsidies on the performance and sustainability of microfinance institutions in sub-Saharan Africa," Research Theses 134487, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.