Access to Financial Services: Measurement, Impact, and Policies
AbstractIn many developing countries less than half the population has access to formal financial services, and in most of Africa less than one in five households has access. Lack of access to finance is often the critical mechanism for generating persistent income inequality, as well as slower economic growth. Hence expanding access remains an important challenge across the world, leaving much for governments to do. However, not all government actions are equally effective and some policies can even be counterproductive. This paper sets out principles for effective government policy on broadening access, drawing on the available evidence and illustrating with examples. The paper concludes with directions for future research. Copyright The Author 2009. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development / the world bank . All rights reserved. For permissions, please e-mail: email@example.com, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal The World Bank Research Observer.
Volume (Year): 24 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wbro.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klapper, Leora & Laeven, Luc & Rajan, Raghuram, 2006. "Entry regulation as a barrier to entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 591-629, December.
- Xavier Gine & Dean Karlan, 2006.
"Group versus individual liability: A field experiment in the philippines,"
Natural Field Experiments
00253, The Field Experiments Website.
- Xavier Gine & Dean Karlan, 2006. "Group versus Individual Liability: A Field Experiment in the Philippines," Working Papers 940, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Dean Karlan & Xavier Giné, 2007. "Group Versus Individual Liability: A Field Experiment in the Philippines," Working Papers 111, Center for Global Development.
- Gine, Xavier & Karlan, Dean S., 2006. "Group versus individual liability : a field experiment in the Philippines," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4008, The World Bank.
- Giné, Xavier & Karlan, Dean S., 2007. "Group versus Individual Liability: A Field Experiment in the Philippines," CEPR Discussion Papers 6193, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asl[iota] & Huizinga, Harry, 2001. "How does foreign entry affect domestic banking markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 891-911, May.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2002.
"Financial development, property rights, and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2924, The World Bank.
- Stijn Claessens & Luc Laeven, 2003. "Financial Development, Property Rights, and Growth," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2401-2436, December.
- Ashraf Nava & Karlan Dean & Yin Wesley, 2006.
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-24, March.
- Dean Karlan & Martin Valdivia, 2007.
"Teaching Entrepreneurship: Impact of Business Training on Microfinance Clients and Institutions,"
107, Center for Global Development.
- Dean Karlan & Martin Valdivia, 2011. "Teaching Entrepreneurship: Impact of Business Training on Microfinance Clients and Institutions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(2), pages 510-527, May.
- Martin Valdivia & Dean Karlan, 2006. "Teaching Entrepreneurship: Impact of Business Training on Microfinance Clients and Institutions," Working Papers 941, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Dean Karlan & Martin Valdivia, 2006. "Teaching entrepreneurship: Impact of business training on microfinance clients and institutions," Natural Field Experiments 00282, The Field Experiments Website.
- Patrick Honohan & Thorsten Beck, 2007.
"Making Finance Work for Africa,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 6626, February.
- C. Lelarge & D. Sraer & D. Thesmar, 2008.
"Entrepreurship and Credit Constraints - Evidence from a French Loan Guarantee Program,"
Documents de Travail de la DESE - Working Papers of the DESE
g2008-07, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, DESE.
- Claire Lelarge & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 2010. "Entrepreneurship and Credit Constraints: Evidence from a French Loan Guarantee Program," NBER Chapters, in: International Differences in Entrepreneurship, pages 243-273 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ghatak, M. & Guinnane, T.W., 1998.
"The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice,"
791, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Ghatak, Maitreesh & Guinnane, Timothy W., 1999. "The economics of lending with joint liability: theory and practice," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 195-228, October.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Discussion Papers 98-16, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1988.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
51644, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 1989.
- L.Guarcello & F.Mealli & F.Rosati, 2002.
"Household Vulnerability and Child Labour: the Effect of Shocks, Credit Rationing and Insurance,"
UCW Working Paper
3, Understanding Children's Work (UCW Programme).
- Lorenzo Guarcello & Fabrizia Mealli & Furio Rosati, 2010. "Household vulnerability and child labor: the effect of shocks, credit rationing, and insurance," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 169-198, January.
- Guarcelllo, Lorenzo & Mealli, Fabrizia & Rosati, Furio Camillo, 2003. "Household vulnerability and child labor : the effect of shocks, credit rationing and insurance," Social Protection Discussion Papers 29136, The World Bank.
- Jacoby, Hanan G & Skoufias, Emmanuel, 1997. "Risk, Financial Markets, and Human Capital in a Developing Country," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 311-35, July.
- Beck, Thorsten & de la Torre, Augusto, 2006.
"The basic analytics of access to financial services,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4026, The World Bank.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Torre, A. de la, 2007. "The basic analytics of access to financial services," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125424, Tilburg University.
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2007. "Firm innovation in emerging markets : the roles of governance and finance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4157, The World Bank.
- Coleman, Brett E., 1999. "The impact of group lending in Northeast Thailand," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 105-141, October.
- Augusto de la Torre & Juan Carlos Gozzi & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2008.
"Capital Market Development: Whither Latin America?,"
in: Financial Markets Volatility and Performance in Emerging Markets, pages 121-154
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de la Torre, Augusto & Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2007. "Capital market development : whither Latin America ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4156, The World Bank.
- Atif Mian, 2006. "Distance Constraints: The Limits of Foreign Lending in Poor Economies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(3), pages 1465-1505, 06.
- Jacoby, Hanan G, 1994. "Borrowing Constraints and Progress through School: Evidence from Peru," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 151-60, February.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Cull, Robert & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2006. "Foreign bank participation and access to credit across firms in developing countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 774-795, December.
- World Bank, 2010. "Scaling-Up SME Access to Financial Services," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12515, The World Bank.
- Giorgio Gomel & Fabio Bernasconi & Margherita Laura Cartechini & Veronica Fucile & Riccardo Settimo & Roberto Staiano, 2011. "Financial inclusion - G20 initiatives and the role of the Bank of Italy," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 96, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Keijiro Otsuka & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2011.
"A Cluster-Based Industrial Development Policy for Low-Income Countries,"
GRIPS Discussion Papers
11-09, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Otsuka, Keijiro & Sonobe, Tetsushi, 2011. "A cluster-based industrial development policy for low-income countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5703, The World Bank.
- Holzmann, Robert, 2010.
"Bringing Financial Literacy and Education to Low and Middle Income Countries: The Need to Review, Adjust, and Extend Current Wisdom,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5114, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holzmann, Robert, 2010. "Bringing financial literacy and education to low and middle income countries : the need to review, adjust, and extend current wisdom," Social Protection Discussion Papers 56501, The World Bank.
- de Koker, Louis & Jentzsch, Nicola, 2013. "Financial Inclusion and Financial Integrity: Aligned Incentives?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 267-280.
- James Barth & Dongyun Lin & Keven Yost, 2011. "Small and Medium Enterprise Financing in Transition Economies," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 39(1), pages 19-38, March.
- Michael King, 2012. "Assistant Professor," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp399, IIIS.
- Kosse, Anneke & Vermeulen, Robert, 2014.
"Migrants’ Choice of Remittance Channel: Do General Payment Habits Play a Role?,"
Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 213-227.
- Anneke Kosse & Robert Vermeulen, 2013. "Migrants' Choice of Remittance Channel: Do General Payment Habits Play a Role?," DNB Working Papers 375, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Musamali, M. Martin & Daniel Kipkirong Tarus, 2013. "Does Firm Profile Influence Financial Access among Small and Medium Enterprises in Kenya?," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(6), pages 714-723, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.