Causality Between Money and Prices: Evidence from Pakistan
AbstractThe objective of the paper is to re-examine the causal relationship between money and prices in Pakistan using recent data and employing cointegration and error correction models. Two measures of prices (CPI and WPI) and three measures of money stocks (M0, M1, and M2) were taken for the period July 1981 to June 1998. The analysis indicates a long run relationship between prices and M2 definition of money. The other definitions of money do not seem to be related with prices. The analysis further suggests a unidirectional causality running from money to prices and thus supporting the monetarists’s claim regarding the role of money. The results, however, are different from the findings of earlier studies in Pakistan which generally report bidirectionl causality between prices and money.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 5021.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The Pakistan Development Review 4.37(1998): pp. 1155-1161
Money; Prices; Pakistan; Causality; Long Run Relation;
Other versions of this item:
- Fazal Husain & Tariq Mahmood, 1998. "Causality between Money and Prices: Evidence from Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 37(4), pages 1155-1161.
- Husain, Fazal & Mahmood, Tariq, 1998. "Causality between Money and Prices:Evidence from Pakistan," MPRA Paper 2720, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hussain, Karrar, 2009. "Causal Ordering Between Inflation and Productivity of Labor and Capital: An Empirical Approach for Pakistan," MPRA Paper 16486, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nadia Saleem, 2008. "Measuring Volatility of Inflation in Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 13(2), pages 99-128, Jul-Dec.
- Sajid Amin Javed & Saud Ahmad Khan & Azad Haider & Farzana Shaheen, 2012. "Inflation and Inflation Uncertainty Nexus: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(3), pages 348-356.
- Khan, Rana Ejaz Ali & Gill, Abid Rashid, 2007. "Impact of Supply of Money on Food and General Price Indices: A Case of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 16293, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Khalid Mushtaq & Abdul Ghafoor & Abedullah & Farhan Ahmad, 2011. "Impact of Monetary and Macroeconomic Factors on Wheat Prices in Pakistan: Implications for Food Security," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 16(1), pages 95-110, Jan-Jun.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.