On smoothing macroeconomic time series using HP and modified HP filter
AbstractIn business cycle research, smoothing data is an essential step in that it can influence the extent to which model-generated moments stand up to their empirical counterparts. To demonstrate this idea, we compare the results of McDermott’s (1997) modified HP-filter with the conventional HP-filter on the properties of simulated and actual macroeconomic series. Our simulations suggest that the modified HP-filter proxies better the true cyclical series. This is true for temporally aggregated data as well. Furthermore, we find that although the autoregressive properties of the smoothed observed series are immune to smoothing procedures, the multivariate analysis is not. As a result, we recommend and hence provide series-, country- and frequency specific smoothing parameters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 45630.
Date of creation: 28 Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Business Cycles; Cross Country Comparisons; Smoothing Parameter; Time Aggregation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-04-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-04-06 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2013-04-06 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MAC-2013-04-06 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedersen, Torben Mark, 2001. "The Hodrick-Prescott filter, the Slutzky effect, and the distortionary effect of filters," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1081-1101, August.
- Alain Guay & Pierre St-Amant, 1997.
"Do the Hodrick-Prescott and Baxter-King Filters Provide a Good Approximation of Business Cycles?,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
53, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Alain GUAY & Pierre SAINT-AMANT, 2005. "Do the Hodrick-Prescott and Baxter-King Filters Provide a Good Approximation of Business Cycles?," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 77, pages 133-155.
- Albert Marcet & Morten O. Ravn, 2003.
"The HP-Filter in Cross-Country Comparisons,"
32, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Albert Marcet & Morte O. Ravn, . "The HP-Filter in Cross-Country Comparisons," Studies on the Spanish Economy 100, FEDEA.
- Marcet, Albert & Ravn, Morten O., 2004. "The HP-Filter in Cross-Country Comparisons," CEPR Discussion Papers 4244, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Albert Marcet & Morten O. Ravn, 2001. "The HP-filter in cross-country comparisons," Economics Working Papers 588, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Dec 2003.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995.
"Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series,"
NBER Working Papers
5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999. "Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- King, Robert G. & Rebelo, Sergio T., 1993.
"Low frequency filtering and real business cycles,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 207-231.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Measuring Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number burn46-1.
- Cooley, T.F. & Ohanian, L.E., 1989.
"The Cyclical Behavior Of Prices,"
RCER Working Papers
188, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.