The Impact of the MSC certification on the Japanese fisheries: Case of the Kyoto Flathead Flounder Danish Seine Fishery
AbstractThis paper investigates the impact of a Japanese fishery’s MSC certification on the related seafood markets. In September 2008, the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified the Kyoto flat-head flounder Danish seine fishery (KDSFF) as the first sustainable fishery in Asia. Assuming the MSC certification has an impact on the fishery, the overall goal is to examine the benefit of the KDSFF from the MSC certification. The benefit is examined by a cointegration and structural break test whether the KDSFF experiences market segregation by the certification. The monthly ex-vessel price is analyzed compared with the prices of the adjacent prefectures: Fukui and Hyogo prefectures. The structural break test showed that the significant impact on the structure of the flathead flounder fisheries while there is no increase in price. In conclusion, the KDSFF benefits from the MSC certification in that the market used to be easily influenced by the other larger markets, but became less influenced by them after the introduction of the MSC certification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42505.
Date of creation: 31 Aug 2012
Date of revision: 09 Nov 2012
MSC certification; Japanese Fishery; Cointegration; Structural Break;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Asche & Atle G. Guttormsen & Tom Sebulonsen & Elin H. Sissener, 2005. "Competition between farmed and wild salmon: the Japanese salmon market," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(3), pages 333-340, November.
- Copeland, Laurence S, 1991. "Cointegration Tests with Daily Exchange Rate Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 53(2), pages 185-98, May.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Vincent R. Nijs & Marnik G. Dekimpe & Jan-Benedict E.M. Steenkamps & Dominique M. Hanssens, 2001. "The Category-Demand Effects of Price Promotions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(1), pages 1-22, September.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Slade, Margaret E, 1986. "Exogeneity Tests of Market Boundaries Applied to Petroleum Products," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 291-303, March.
- Zeileis, Achim & Kleiber, Christian & Krämer, Walter & Hornik, Kurt, 2002.
"Testing and dating of structural changes in practice,"
2002,39, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Zeileis, Achim & Kleiber, Christian & Kramer, Walter & Hornik, Kurt, 2003. "Testing and dating of structural changes in practice," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 109-123, October.
- Ishida, Takashi & Fukushige, Mototsugu, 2010. "The effects of fishery harbor-based brands on the brand equity of shore fish: An empirical study of branded mackerel in Japan," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 488-495, October.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Hine, Susan E., 2002. "Discovering Niche Markets: A Comparison Of Consumer Willingness To Pay For Local (Colorado Grown), Organic, And Gmo-Free Products," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(03), December.
- repec:ags:mareec:28181 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.