Privatisation et négociation collective
[Privatization and collective bargaining]
AbstractThis article deals with the role of labor unions in the privatization movement for developing countries. We consider the case of a public monopoly whose workers are members of a trade union and examine the consequences of its privatization. When the trade union and the rm bargain over the level of employment, there exists an overemployment in the public rm while the private rm is characterized by a too low level of employment in order to reach the social optimum. The privatization can be socially desirable when the trade union has an important bargaining power and is characterized by a strong preference for employment. However, with the right-tomanage model, the privatization is never wishable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38367.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Privatisation; syndicat; négociation; optimum social;
Other versions of this item:
- J51 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Trade Unions: Objectives, Structure, and Effects
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
- J5 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haskel, Jonathan & Szymanski, Stefan, 1993. "Privatization, Liberalization, Wages and Employment: Theory and Evidence for the UK," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(238), pages 161-81, May.
- Velenchik, Ann D., 1997.
"Government intervention, efficiency wages, and the employer size wage effect in Zimbabwe,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 305-338, August.
- Velenchik, A.D., 1995. "Government Intervention, Efficiency Wages, and the Employer-Size Wage Effects in Zimbabwe," Papers 95-09, Wellesley College - Department of Economics.
- Schultz, T.P. & Mwabu, G., 1997.
"Labor Unions and the Distribution of Wages and Employment in South Africa,"
776, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- T. Paul Schultz & Germano Mwabu, 1998. "Labor unions and the distribution of wages and employment in South Africa," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 51(4), pages 680-703, July.
- Patrick Plane, 1996. "La privatisation des services publics en Afrique subsaharienne. Enjeux et incertitudes," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 47(6), pages 1409-1421.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Pencavel, John H, 1984.
"The Tradeoff between Wages and Employment in Trade Union Objectives,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 99(2), pages 215-31, May.
- John H. Pencavel, 1982. "The Trade-Off between Wages and Employment in Trade Union Objectives," NBER Working Papers 0870, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oswald, Andrew J & Turnbull, Peter J, 1985. "Pay and Employment Determination in Britain: What Are Labour," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(2), pages 80-97, Summer.
- Manda , Damiano Kulundu & Bigsten, Arne & Mwabu , Germano, 2001.
"Trade Union Membership and Earnings in Kenyan Manufacturing Firms,"
Working Papers in Economics
50, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Damiano Kulundu Manda & Arne Bigsten & Germano Mwabu, 2005. "Trade union membership and earnings in Kenyan manufacturing firms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(15), pages 1693-1704.
- Rees, Ray, 1988. "Inefficiency, Public Enterprise and Privatisation," Munich Reprints in Economics 3415, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- MacIsaac, Donna & Rama, Martin, 1997. "Determinants of Hourly Earnings in Ecuador: The Role of Labor Market Regulations," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(3), pages S136-65, July.
- Narjess Boubakri & Jean-Claude Cosset, 1998. "The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: Evidence from Developing Countries," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 1081-1110, 06.
- D. Smith & Michael Trebilcock, 2001. "State-Owned Enterprises in Less Developed Countries: Privatization and Alternative Reform Strategies," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 217-252, November.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173.
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1988. "Privatization: An Economic Analysis," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262720116, December.
- Nejat Anbarcia & Mehmet E. Karaaslanb, 1998.
"An efficient privatization mechanism,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 73-87.
- John Pencavel, 1996. "The Legal Framework for Collective Bargaining in Developing Economies," Working Papers 97008, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Patrick Plane, 1996. "La privatisation des services publics en Afrique subsaharienne. Enjeux et incertitudes," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(6), pages 1409-1421.
- Abdullah Al-Obaidan, 2002. "Efficiency effect of privatization in the developing countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1), pages 111-117.
- MaCurdy, Thomas E & Pencavel, John H, 1986. "Testing between Competing Models of Wage and Employment Determination in Unionized Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages S3-S39, June.
- Standing, Guy, 1992. "Do Unions Impede or Accelerate Structural Adjustment? Industrial versus Company Unions in an Industrialising Labour Market," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 327-54, September.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1985. " The Economic Theory of Trade Unions: An Introductory Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 160-93.
- Rees, Ray, 1988. "INefficiency, public enterprise and privatisation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 422-431, March.
- Boardman, Anthony E & Vining, Aidan R, 1989. "Ownership and Performance in Competitive Environments: A Comparison of the Performance of Private, Mixed, and State-Owned Enterprises," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 1-33, April.
- Megginson, William L & Nash, Robert C & van Randenborgh, Matthias, 1994. " The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: An International Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 403-52, June.
- Owoye, Oluwole, 1994. "Wage Determination and Strike Activity in Nigeria," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 3(3), pages 447-80, December.
- Jellal, Mohamed, 2012.
"Dualisme Migration et Chômage au Maroc
[Morocco dualism migration and unemployment policies]," MPRA Paper 38365, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.