Unions and Collective Bargaining : Economic Effects in a Global Environment
AbstractThe development of industrial relations in different countries, can be essential in their efforts to balance competitiveness, with equitable wages, and improved working conditions. Consequently, a well-functioning labor market is essential for solid economic performance, as well as future economic growth, and, for the well-being of workers, and their families. And, the effects of globalization on workers, on firms, and on macroeconomic performance, relate critically to labor institutions such as, trade unions, and dispute resolution mechanisms. "Unions and Collective Bargaining" is a comprehensive, reference book which evaluates the economic effects of unions, and collective bargaining. This book provides a detailed survey, and synthesis of the economic literature on trade unions, and collective bargaining, and their impact on micro- and macroeconomic outcomes. It shows the effects of collective bargaining in different country settings and time periods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 15241 and published in 2002.
Economic Theory and Research Environmental Economics and Policies Social Protections and Labor - Labor Management and Relations Health Economics and Finance Social Protections and Labor - Labor Standards Health; Nutrition and Population;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reynolds, Morgan O, 1986. "Trade Unions in the Production Process Reconsidered," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(2), pages 443-47, April.
- Lawrence Mishel, 1986. "The structural determinants of union bargaining power," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 40(1), pages 90-104, October.
- Panagides, Alexis & Patrinos, Harry Anthony & DEC, 1994. "Union - nonunion wage differentials in the developing world : a case study of Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1269, The World Bank.
- Karl Ove Moene & Michael Wallerstein, 1993. "The Economic Performance of Different Bargaining Institutions: A Survey of the Theoretical Literature," Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft - WuG, Kammer für Arbeiter und Angestellte für Wien, Abteilung Wirtschaftswissenschaft und Statistik, vol. 19(4), pages 423-450.
- Richard B. Freeman & James L. Medoff, 1979. "The Two Faces of Unionism," NBER Working Papers 0364, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newell, A. & Symons, J. S. V., 1987. "Corporatism, laissez-faire and the rise in unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 567-601, April.
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997.
"Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance,"
23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999. "Labor market institutions and economic performance," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084 Elsevier.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Machin, Stephen J & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1991. "The Effects of Unions on Organisational Change and Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 835-54, July.
- Francis Teal, 1995.
"The size and sources of economic rents in a developing country manufacturing labour market,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1995-06, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Teal, Francis, 1996. "The Size and sources of economic rents in a developing country manufacturing labour market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 963-76, July.
- Robert J. LALONDE & Gérard MARSCHKE & Kenneth TROSKE, 1996. "Using Longitudinal Data on Establishments to Analyze the Effects of Union Organizing Campaigns in the United States," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 41-42, pages 155-185.
- Richard Jackman & Christopher A. Pissarides & S Savouri, 1990. "Labour Market Policies and Unemployment in the OECD," CEP Discussion Papers dp0011, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rama, Martin & Tabellim, Guido, 1998.
"Lobbying by capital and labor over trade and labor market policies,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1295-1316, July.
- Martín Rama & Guido Tabellini, . "Lobbying by Capital and Labor over Trade and Labor Market Policies," Working Papers 94, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Rama, Martin, 1994. "Bargaining structure and economic performance in the open economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 403-415, February.
- Ravn, Morten O. & Sorensen, Jan Rose, 1995. "Minimum Wages: Curse or Blessing?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1212, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Lindbeck, A. & Snower, D.J., 1989.
"Macroeconomic Policy And Insider Power,"
429, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Christoph Schmidt & Klaus Zimmerman, 1990.
"Work Characteristics, Firm Size and Wages,"
644, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- MaCurdy, Thomas E & Pencavel, John H, 1986. "Testing between Competing Models of Wage and Employment Determination in Unionized Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages S3-S39, June.
- David Metcalf, 1993. "Industrial Relations and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0129, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nelson, Joan M, 1991. "Organized Labor, Politics, and Labor Market Flexibility in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 6(1), pages 37-56, January.
- Felice Martinello & Ronald Meng, 1992. "Effects of labor legislation and industry characteristics on union coverage in Canada," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 176-190, October.
- Trejo, Stephen J, 1993. "Overtime Pay, Overtime Hours, and Labor Unions," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(2), pages 253-78, April.
- Freeman, Richard B & Kleiner, Morris M, 1990.
"The Impact of New Unionization on Wages and Working Conditions,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages S8-25, January.
- Freeman, Richard Barry & Kleiner, Morris M., 1990. "The Impact of New Unionization on Wages and Working Conditions," Scholarly Articles 4632238, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Main, Brian G M & Reilly, Barry, 1992. "Women and the Union Wage Gap," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(410), pages 49-66, January.
- Thomas Karier, 1988. "New Evidence on the Effect of Unions and Imports on Monopoly Power," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 10(3), pages 414-427, April.
- Richard Jackman, 1993. "Mass unemployment : international experience and lessons for policy," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 5-12, Spring.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1991.
"A sensitivity analysis of cross-country growth regressions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
609, The World Bank.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1992. "A Sensitivity Analysis of Cross-Country Growth Regressions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 942-63, September.
- Richard Jackman, 1993. "Mass Unemployment: International Experience and Lessons for Policy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0152, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Oswald, A. J., 1995.
"Efficient contracts are on the labour demand curve: Theory and facts,"
Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 102-102, March.
- Oswald, Andrew J., 1993. "Efficient contracts are on the labour demand curve : Theory and facts," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 85-113, June.
- Andrew Oswald, 1984. "Efficient Contracts are on the Labour Demand Curve: Theory and Facts," Working Papers 555, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Robinson, Chris & Tomes, Nigel, 1984. "Union Wage Differentials in the Public and Private Sectors: A Simultaneous Equations Specification," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(1), pages 106-27, January.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- Perloff, Jeffrey M & Sickles, Robin C, 1987. "Union Wage, Hours, and Earnings Differentials in the Construction Industry," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(2), pages 174-210, April.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Rutherford, Thomas J. & Selby, Steven, 1995. "Implications of changes in labor standards: A computational analysis for Mexico," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 171-188.
- Standing, Guy, 1992. "Do Unions Impede or Accelerate Structural Adjustment? Industrial versus Company Unions in an Industrialising Labour Market," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 327-54, September.
- Patrinos, Harry Anthony & Sakellariou, Chris N., 1992. "North American Indians in the Canadian labour market: A decomposition of wage differentials," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 257-266, September.
- Siebert, W Stanley & Addison, John T, 1981. "Are Strikes Accidential?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(362), pages 389-404, June.
- Yaron, G., 1990. "Trade Unions And Women'S Relative Pay: A Theoretical And Empirical Analysis Using Uk Data," Economics Series Working Papers 9995, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Polachek,Solomon W. & Siebert,W. Stanley, 1993. "The Economics of Earnings," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521367288, December.
- Wayne Simpson, 1985. "The Impact of Unions on the Structure of Canadian Wages: An Empirical Analysis with Microdata," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(1), pages 164-81, February.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1993. "Why Is Rent-Seeking So Costly to Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 409-14, May.
- Takayoshi Kusago & Tzannatos, Zafiris, 1998. "Export processing zones : a review in need of update," Social Protection Discussion Papers 20046, The World Bank.
- Soskice, David, 1990. "Wage Determination: The Changing Role of Institutions in Advanced Industrialized Countries," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(4), pages 36-61, Winter.
- E. Kenneth Grant & Robert Swidinsky & John Vanderkamp, 1987. "Canadian union-nonunion wage differentials," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(1), pages 93-107, October.
- Latreille, Paul L, 1992. "Unions and the Inter-establishment Adoption of New Microelectronic Technologies in the British Private Manufacturing Sector," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(1), pages 31-51, February.
- Johnson, Harry G & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1970. "The Effects of Unionization on the Distribution of Income: A General Equilibrium Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 539-61, November.
- Malcomson, James M, 1983. "Trade Unions and Economic Efficiency," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(369a), pages 51-65, Supplemen.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2005.
"What Do Unions Do?: The 2004 M-Brane Stringtwister Edition,"
NBER Working Papers
11410, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2005. "What Do Unions Do?-- The 2004 M-Brane Stringtwister Edition," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 26(4), pages 641-668, November.
- Nils Karlson & Marcus Box & Almas Heshmati, 2009.
"Generality, State Neutrality and Unemployment in the OECD,"
TEMEP Discussion Papers
200931, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Nov 2009.
- Heshmati Almas & Karlson Nils & Box Marcus, 2013. "Generality, State Neutrality and Unemployment in the OECD," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 13(3), pages 333-358, December.
- Karlson, Nils & Box, Marcus & Heshmati, Almas, 2008. "Generality, State Neutrality and Unemployment in the OECD," Ratio Working Papers 124, The Ratio Institute.
- Ludsteck, Johannes & Jacobebbinghaus, Peter, 2005. "Strike activity and centralisation in wage setting," IAB Discussion Paper 200522, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Kimberly Ann Elliott, 2003. "Labor Standards and the Free Trade Area of the Americas," Working Paper Series WP03-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Kohn, Karsten, 2005. "Gleicher Lohn für gleiche Arbeit? : zum Zusammenhang zwischen Gewerkschaftsmitgliedschaft und Lohnstruktur in Westdeutschland 1985-1997 (Equal pay for equal work? * on the relationship between union ," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 38(2/3), pages 125-146.
- Jean-Marc Siroën, 2012.
"Core labour standards and exports,"
DT/2012/18, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Yana van der Meulen Rodgers & Gunseli Berik, 2006. "Asia's Race to Capture Post-MFA Markets: A Snapshot of Labor Standards, Compliance, and Impacts on Competitiveness," Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, University of Utah 2006_02, University of Utah, Department of Economics.
- Aidt, T.S. & Tzannatos, Z., 2005. "The Cost and Benefits of Collective Bargaining," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0541, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Lu, Yi & Tao, Zhigang & Wang, Yijiang, 2010. "Union effects on performance and employment relations: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 202-210, March.
- Giorgio Calcagnini & Germana Giombini & Enrico Saltari, 2009. "Firms’ Investment in the Presence of Labor and Financial Market Imperfections," Working Papers 0901, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2009.
- Fernando Rios-Avila, 2014. "Unions and Economic Performance in Developing Countries: Case Studies from Latin America," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_787, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Feldmann, Horst, 2009. "The unemployment effects of labor regulation around the world," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 76-90, March.
- Simon STURN, 2013. "Are corporatist labour markets different? Labour market regimes and unemployment in OECD countries," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 152(2), pages 237-254, 06.
- Horst Feldmann, 2005. "Labour Market Institutions and Labour Market Performance in Transition Countries," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 47-82.
- Siroën, Jean-Marc & Bazillier, Remi & Duc, Cindy & Arestoff, Florence & Granger, Clotilde, . "Les normes de travail dans les traités de libre-échange," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3202, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.