Unions and Collective Bargaining : Economic Effects in a Global Environment
AbstractThe development of industrial relations in different countries, can be essential in their efforts to balance competitiveness, with equitable wages, and improved working conditions. Consequently, a well-functioning labor market is essential for solid economic performance, as well as future economic growth, and, for the well-being of workers, and their families. And, the effects of globalization on workers, on firms, and on macroeconomic performance, relate critically to labor institutions such as, trade unions, and dispute resolution mechanisms. "Unions and Collective Bargaining" is a comprehensive, reference book which evaluates the economic effects of unions, and collective bargaining. This book provides a detailed survey, and synthesis of the economic literature on trade unions, and collective bargaining, and their impact on micro- and macroeconomic outcomes. It shows the effects of collective bargaining in different country settings and time periods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 15241 and published in 2002.
Economic Theory and Research Environmental Economics and Policies Social Protections and Labor - Labor Management and Relations Health Economics and Finance Social Protections and Labor - Labor Standards Health; Nutrition and Population;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Oswald, 1984.
"Efficient Contracts are on the Labour Demand Curve: Theory and Facts,"
555, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Oswald, A. J., 1995. "Efficient contracts are on the labour demand curve: Theory and facts," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 102-102, March.
- Oswald, Andrew J., 1993. "Efficient contracts are on the labour demand curve : Theory and facts," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 85-113, June.
- Francis Teal, 1995.
"The size and sources of economic rents in a developing country manufacturing labour market,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1995-06, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Teal, Francis, 1996. "The Size and sources of economic rents in a developing country manufacturing labour market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 963-76, July.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:8:y:1997:i:1:p:78-89 is not listed on IDEAS
- Freeman, Richard B & Kleiner, Morris M, 1990.
"The Impact of New Unionization on Wages and Working Conditions,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages S8-25, January.
- Freeman, Richard Barry & Kleiner, Morris M., 1990. "The Impact of New Unionization on Wages and Working Conditions," Scholarly Articles 4632238, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Latreille, Paul L, 1992. "Unions and the Inter-establishment Adoption of New Microelectronic Technologies in the British Private Manufacturing Sector," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(1), pages 31-51, February.
- Machin, Stephen J & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1991. "The Effects of Unions on Organisational Change and Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 835-54, July.
- E. Kenneth Grant & Robert Swidinsky & John Vanderkamp, 1987. "Canadian union-nonunion wage differentials," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(1), pages 93-107, October.
- Thomas Karier, 1988. "New Evidence on the Effect of Unions and Imports on Monopoly Power," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 10(3), pages 414-427, April.
- Patrinos, Harry Anthony & Sakellariou, Chris N., 1992. "North American Indians in the Canadian labour market: A decomposition of wage differentials," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 257-266, September.
- Polachek,Solomon W. & Siebert,W. Stanley, 1993. "The Economics of Earnings," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521367288, April.
- Perloff, Jeffrey M & Sickles, Robin C, 1987. "Union Wage, Hours, and Earnings Differentials in the Construction Industry," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(2), pages 174-210, April.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Rutherford, Thomas J. & Selby, Steven, 1995. "Implications of changes in labor standards: A computational analysis for Mexico," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 171-188.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1993. "Why Is Rent-Seeking So Costly to Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 409-14, May.
- Main, Brian G M & Reilly, Barry, 1992. "Women and the Union Wage Gap," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(410), pages 49-66, January.
- Rowthorn, R E, 1992. "Centralisation, Employment and Wage Dispersion," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(412), pages 506-23, May.
- Soskice, David, 1990. "Wage Determination: The Changing Role of Institutions in Advanced Industrialized Countries," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(4), pages 36-61, Winter.
- Richard Jackman, 1993. "Mass Unemployment: International Experience and Lessons for Policy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0152, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Reynolds, Morgan O, 1986. "Trade Unions in the Production Process Reconsidered," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(2), pages 443-47, April.
- Johnson, Harry G & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1970. "The Effects of Unionization on the Distribution of Income: A General Equilibrium Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 539-61, November.
- Malcomson, James M, 1983. "Trade Unions and Economic Efficiency," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(369a), pages 51-65, Supplemen.
- Nelson, Joan M, 1991. "Organized Labor, Politics, and Labor Market Flexibility in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 6(1), pages 37-56, January.
- Panagides, Alexis & Patrinos, Harry Anthony & DEC, 1994. "Union - nonunion wage differentials in the developing world : a case study of Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1269, The World Bank.
- Karl Ove Moene & Michael Wallerstein, 1993. "The Economic Performance of Different Bargaining Institutions: A Survey of the Theoretical Literature," Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft - WuG, Kammer für Arbeiter und Angestellte für Wien, Abteilung Wirtschaftswissenschaft und Statistik, vol. 19(4), pages 423-450.
- Richard B. Freeman & James L. Medoff, 1979. "The Two Faces of Unionism," NBER Working Papers 0364, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998.
"Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999. "Labor market institutions and economic performance," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084 Elsevier.
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," Papers 23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Ravn, Morten O. & Sorensen, Jan Rose, 1995. "Minimum Wages: Curse or Blessing?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1212, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martín Rama & Guido Tabellini, .
"Lobbying by Capital and Labor over Trade and Labor Market Policies,"
94, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Rama, Martin & Tabellim, Guido, 1998. "Lobbying by capital and labor over trade and labor market policies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1295-1316, July.
- Lindbeck, A. & Snower, D.J., 1989.
"Macroeconomic Policy And Insider Power,"
429, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Richard Jackman, 1993. "Mass unemployment : international experience and lessons for policy," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 5-12, Spring.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Yaron, G., 1990. "Trade Unions And Women'S Relative Pay: A Theoretical And Empirical Analysis Using Uk Data," Economics Series Working Papers 9995, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Felice Martinello & Ronald Meng, 1992. "Effects of labor legislation and industry characteristics on union coverage in Canada," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 176-190, October.
- Freeman, Richard, 1988. "Union density and economic performance : An analysis of U.S. States," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 707-716, March.
- Trejo, Stephen J, 1993. "Overtime Pay, Overtime Hours, and Labor Unions," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(2), pages 253-78, April.
- Robert J. LALONDE & Gérard MARSCHKE & Kenneth TROSKE, 1996. "Using Longitudinal Data on Establishments to Analyze the Effects of Union Organizing Campaigns in the United States," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 41-42, pages 155-185.
- Lawrence Mishel, 1986. "The structural determinants of union bargaining power," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 40(1), pages 90-104, October.
- Robinson, Chris & Tomes, Nigel, 1984. "Union Wage Differentials in the Public and Private Sectors: A Simultaneous Equations Specification," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(1), pages 106-27, January.
- Standing, Guy, 1992. "Do Unions Impede or Accelerate Structural Adjustment? Industrial versus Company Unions in an Industrialising Labour Market," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 327-54, September.
- MaCurdy, Thomas E & Pencavel, John H, 1986. "Testing between Competing Models of Wage and Employment Determination in Unionized Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages S3-S39, June.
- Wayne Simpson, 1985. "The Impact of Unions on the Structure of Canadian Wages: An Empirical Analysis with Microdata," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(1), pages 164-81, February.
- Christoph Schmidt & Klaus Zimmerman, 1990.
"Work Characteristics, Firm Size and Wages,"
644, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Rama, Martin, 1994. "Bargaining structure and economic performance in the open economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 403-415, February.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- David Metcalf, 1993. "Industrial Relations and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0129, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1992.
"A Sensitivity Analysis of Cross-Country Growth Regressions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 942-63, September.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1991. "A sensitivity analysis of cross-country growth regressions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 609, The World Bank.
- Newell, A. & Symons, J. S. V., 1987. "Corporatism, laissez-faire and the rise in unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 567-601, April.
- Siebert, W Stanley & Addison, John T, 1981. "Are Strikes Accidential?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(362), pages 389-404, June.
- Grout, Paul A, 1984. "Investment and Wages in the Absence of Binding Contracts: A Nash Bargining Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 449-60, March.
- Takayoshi Kusago & Tzannatos, Zafiris, 1998. "Export processing zones : a review in need of update," Social Protection Discussion Papers 20046, The World Bank.
- Richard Jackman & Christopher A. Pissarides & S Savouri, 1990. "Labour Market Policies and Unemployment in the OECD," CEP Discussion Papers dp0011, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.