Financial stabilization systems, economic growth of developing countries and EU’s STABEX
AbstractUnderstanding the impact of instability of export receipts on the economic growth of developing countries has been an important area of research in development economics for a long time. A substantial body of literature has documented a wide range of empirical regularities according to which export earnings instability (EEI) penalizes LDCs’ economic performance. According to this view, EEI alters the path of economic progress by increasing the uncertainty of financial resources needed to purchase capital goods1. This, in turn, reduces the overall level of efficiency of a country because the formation of capital is distorted by bad investments planning (Commission of the EC 1981, 1997)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38099.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Agriculture and Environment for International Development 96.1/2(2002): pp. 23-51
Export Earnings Instability. Compensatory Financing. Economic Growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Collier & P. Guillaumont & S. Guillaumont Jeanneney & Jan Willem Gunning, 1999. "Reforming Stabex," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(5), pages 669-682, 07.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters, in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillaumont, Patrick, 1987. "From export instability effects to international stabilization policies," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 633-643, May.
- Lensink, Robert & Bo, Hong & Sterken, Elmer, 1999.
"Does uncertainty affect economic growth? : an empirical analysis,"
99E23, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Robert Lensink & Hong Bo & Elmer Sterken, 1999. "Does uncertainty affect economic growth? An empirical analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 135(3), pages 379-396, September.
- Lensink, Robert & Bo, Hong & Sterken, Elmer, 1999. "Does uncertainty affect economic growth? : an empirical analysis," CCSO Working Papers, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research 199902, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- B. Bosworth & S. M. Collins & Y. Chen, .
"Accounting for Difference in Economic Growth,"
Discussion Papers, Brookings Institution International Economics
115, Brookings Institution International Economics.
- Gyimah-Brempong, Kwabena, 1991. "Export Instability and Economic Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(4), pages 815-28, July.
- Cuddy, John D A & Della Valle, P A, 1978. "Measuring the Instability of Time Series Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 40(1), pages 79-85, February.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason, 1997.
"Exports, Inflation, and Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
97/119, International Monetary Fund.
- James Harrigan, 1998.
"Estimation of cross-country differences in industry production functions,"
Staff Reports, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
36, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Harrigan, James, 1999. "Estimation of cross-country differences in industry production functions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 267-293, April.
- Catherine ARAUJO BONJEAN & Jean-Louis COMBES & Pascale COMBES MOTEL, 1999. "The Economic Consequences of Export Instability in Developing Countries: A Survey," Working Papers 199926, CERDI.
- Hewitt, Adrian, 1983. "Stabex: An evalution of the economic impact over the first five years," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 11(12), pages 1005-1027, December.
- Francesco Aiello, 1999. "The Stabilisation of LDCs' Export Earnings. The impact of the EU STABEX programme," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 71-85.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993.
"Returns to investment in education : a global update,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1067, The World Bank.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994. "Returns to investment in education: A global update," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Dipendra Sinha, 2004.
"Export Instability, Investment and Economic Growth in Asian Countries: A Time Series Analysis,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings, Econometric Society
687, Econometric Society.
- Sinha, D., 1999. "Export Instability, Investment and Economic Growth in Asian Countries: A Time Series Analysis," Papers, Yale - Economic Growth Center 799, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Patrick Guillaumont & Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Aristomène Varoudakis, 1999. "Economic Policy Reform and Growth Prospects in Emerging African Economies," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 145, OECD Publishing.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & James A. Schmitz, Jr., 1998.
"Explaining cross-country income differences,"
Staff Report, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
250, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Lam, N. V., 1980. "Export instability, expansion and market concentration : A methodological interpretation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 99-115, February.
- Francesco Aiello, 1999. "Effects of STABEX on ACPs' economic growth: Further evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(9), pages 1033-1042.
- Aiello, Francesco Aiello, 2010. "Experiences with Traditional Compensatory Finance Scheme and Lessons from FLEX - Esperienze dei tradizionali sistemi di compensazione finanziaria e lezioni dal caso FLEX," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 63(1), pages 1-52.
- Francesco Aiello, 2009. "Experiences With Traditional Compensatory Finance Schemes And Lessons From Flex," Working Papers 200912, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza (Ex Dipartimento di Economia e Statistica).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.