Export Instability, Investment and Economic Growth in Asian Countries: A Time Series Analysis
AbstractIn this study, we look at the relationship between export stability, investment and economic growth in nine Asian countries using time series data. The few previous time series studies in this area have not paid any attention to stationarity and cointegration issues. We find that in most cases, the variables are non-stationary in their levels and not cointegrated. These results raise serious doubts about the results of these studies. The results are not uniform across countries casting doubts about the validity of the numerous cross-section studies. For Japan, Malaysia, Philippines and Sri Lanka, we find a negative relationship between export instability and economic growth. For (South) Korea, Myanmar, Pakistan and Thailand, we find a positive relationship between the two variables. For India, we get mixed results. In most cases, economic growth is found to be positively associated with domestic investment.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale - Economic Growth Center in its series Papers with number 799.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: U.S.A.; YALE UNIVERSITY, ECONOMIC GROWTH CENTER, YALE STATION NEW-HAVEN CONNECTICUT 06520 U.S.A
Phone: (203) 432-3610
Fax: (203) 432-3898
Web page: http://www.econ.yale.edu/~egcenter/
More information through EDIRC
TRADE ; ECONOMIC GROWTH ; ECONOMIC MODELS;
Other versions of this item:
- Dipendra Sinha, 2004. "Export Instability, Investment and Economic Growth in Asian Countries: A Time Series Analysis," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 687, Econometric Society.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shrabanti Maity, 2013. "India’s Leather and Manufactures Export in the Scenario of WTO: An Analysis Trend and Structural Shift," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 11(3 (Fall)), pages 261-281.
- Dipendra Sinha, 2007.
"Effects of Volatility of Exports in the Philippines and Thailand,"
The IUP Journal of Financial Economics,
IUP Publications, vol. 0(3), pages 78-83, September.
- Sinha, Dipendra, 2007. "Effects of Volatility of Exports in the Philippines and Thailand," MPRA Paper 2563, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aiello, Francesco, 2002. "Financial stabilization systems, economic growth of developing countries and EU’s STABEX," MPRA Paper 38099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad Aslam Chaudhary & Amjad Naveed, 2003. "Export Earnings, Capital Instability and Economic Growth in South Asia," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 8(1), pages 65-89, Jan-June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.