Export Instability, Investment and Economic Growth in Asian Countries: A Time Series Analysis
AbstractIn this study, we look at the relationship between export stability, investment and economic growth in nine Asian countries using time series data. The few previous time series studies in this area have not paid any attention to stationarity and cointegration issues. We find that in most cases, the variables are non-stationary in their levels and not cointegrated. These results raise serious doubts about the results of these studies. The results are not uniform across countries casting doubts about the validity of the numerous cross-section studies. For Japan, Malaysia, Philippines and Sri Lanka, we find a negative relationship between export instability and economic growth. For (South) Korea, Myanmar, Pakistan and Thailand, we find a positive relationship between the two variables. For India, we get mixed results. In most cases, economic growth is found to be positively associated with domestic investment
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings with number 687.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
export instability; economic growth; Asia;
Other versions of this item:
- Sinha, D., 1999. "Export Instability, Investment and Economic Growth in Asian Countries: A Time Series Analysis," Papers 799, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- F49 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muhammad Aslam Chaudhary & Amjad Naveed, 2003. "Export Earnings, Capital Instability and Economic Growth in South Asia," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 8(1), pages 65-89, Jan-June.
- Aiello, Francesco, 2002. "Financial stabilization systems, economic growth of developing countries and EU’s STABEX," MPRA Paper 38099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sinha, Dipendra, 2007.
"Effects of Volatility of Exports in the Philippines and Thailand,"
2563, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dipendra Sinha, 2007. "Effects of Volatility of Exports in the Philippines and Thailand," The IUP Journal of Financial Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(3), pages 78-83, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.