Price competition in the spatial real estate market: Allies or rivals?
AbstractThis paper examines real estate pricing featuring the price response curve, both theoretically and empirically. The Bertrand model with differentiated products suggests that the price response of real estate may differ when properties in the vicinity are priced by an affiliated firm or one's own firm. This is because the firm can maintain the collusive state if real estate prices in the neighborhood are priced by allies, whereas it loses it if prices are priced by rivals. To examine this prediction, a spatial autoregressive model with autoregressive and heteroskedastic disturbances, including a share of allies in the vicinity, is estimated using data on the residential condominium market in central Tokyo. Empirical results provide support for the model prediction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37438.
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Real estate prices; Strategic pricing; Spatial econometrics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-03-28 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-GEO-2012-03-28 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-IND-2012-03-28 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-URE-2012-03-28 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2010. "Specification and estimation of spatial autoregressive models with autoregressive and heteroskedastic disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 53-67, July.
- Mobley, Lee R & Frech, Ted E & Anselin, Luc, 2008.
"Spatial Interaction, Spatial Multipliers, and Hospital Competition,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt4m8862hd, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Lee Mobley & H. E. Frech & Luc Anselin, 2009. "Spatial Interaction, Spatial Multipliers and Hospital Competition," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 1-17.
- Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Hendrik Folmer & Sergio J. Rey, 2002.
"Specification Searches in Spatial Econometrics: The Relevance of Hendry's Methodology,"
- Florax, Raymond J. G. M. & Folmer, Hendrik & Rey, Sergio J., 2003. "Specification searches in spatial econometrics: the relevance of Hendry's methodology," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 557-579, September.
- Urzua, Carlos M., 1996. "On the correct use of omnibus tests for normality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 247-251, December.
- Machado, Jose A. F. & Silva, J. M. C. Santos, 2000. "Glejser's test revisited," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 189-202, July.
- Won Kim, Chong & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 2003.
"Measuring the benefits of air quality improvement: a spatial hedonic approach,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Kim, Chong Won & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 1998. "Measuring The Benefits Of Air Quality Improvement: A Spatial Hedonic Approach," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20959, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Chen, Yong & Clapp, John M. & Tirtiroglu, Dogan, 2011. "Hedonic estimation of housing demand elasticity with a markup over marginal costs," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 233-248.
- Gérard, Marcel & Jayet, Hubert & Paty, Sonia, 2010. "Tax interactions among Belgian municipalities: Do interregional differences matter?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 336-342, September.
- DANIEL P. McMILLEN & LARRY D. SINGELL & GLEN R. WADDELL, 2007. "Spatial Competition And The Price Of College," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 45(4), pages 817-833, October.
- Steven Bourassa & Eva Cantoni & Martin Hoesli, 2007. "Spatial Dependence, Housing Submarkets, and House Price Prediction," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 143-160, August.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Luz A. Saavedra, 2000.
"Do Local Governments Engage in Strategic Property-Tax Competition?,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0357, Econometric Society.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Saavedra, Luz A., 2001. "Do Local Governments Engage in Strategic Property-Tax Competition?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 54(n. 2), pages 203-30, June Cita.
- Goodman, Allen C. & Thibodeau, Thomas G., 1998. "Housing Market Segmentation," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 121-143, June.
- Can, Ayse & Megbolugbe, Isaac, 1997. "Spatial Dependence and House Price Index Construction," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1-2), pages 203-22, Jan.-Marc.
- Mobley, Lee R., 2003. "Estimating hospital market pricing: an equilibrium approach using spatial econometrics," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 489-516, July.
- Beck, Jason & Scott, Frank & Yelowitz, Aaron, 2010. "Competition and market structure in local real estate markets," MPRA Paper 27531, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G�ran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
- Can, Ayse, 1992. "Specification and estimation of hedonic housing price models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 453-474, September.
- Dieter Pennerstorfer, 2009. "Spatial price competition in retail gasoline markets: evidence from Austria," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 133-158, March.
- Joris Pinkse & Margaret E. Slade & Craig Brett, 2002. "Spatial Price Competition: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1111-1153, May.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F, 1987. "Competition and Collusion in the American Automobile Industry: The 1955 Price War," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 457-82, June.
- Im, Kyung So, 2000. "Robustifying Glejser test of heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 179-188, July.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1998. "A Generalized Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-121, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.