An empirical study of relationship between FIFA world ranking and domestic football competition level: the case of Turkey
AbstractThis research is aimed at establishing a bivariate long-run association between FIFA country ranking and domestic football competition level in the case of Turkey. To test this hypothesis empirically, coefficient of variation values are computed seasonally for Turkish Super League over 1994-2010. This variable along the FIFA ranking of Turkey in the same period are used in the framework of ARDL approach to cointegration. The empirical results suggest that a 1% increase in the domestic football competition level leads to 1.14% rise in the FIFA ranking of Turkey. The post-sample variance decompositions also confirm the long-run relationship.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 35662.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
football; FIFA ranking; cointegration; variance decomposition; Turkey;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Z00 - Other Special Topics - - General - - - General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2012-08-23 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-SPO-2012-08-23 (Sports & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helmut Dietl & Martin Grossmann & Markus Lang, 2009.
"Competitive Balance and Revenue Sharing in Sports Leagues with Utility-Maximizing Teams,"
0118, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised Jun 2010.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Martin Grossmann & Markus Lang, 2011. "Competitive Balance and Revenue Sharing in Sports Leagues With Utility-Maximizing Teams," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 12(3), pages 284-308, June.
- Helmut Dietl & Martin Grossmann & Markus Lang, 2010. "Competitive Balance and Revenue Sharing in Sports Leagues with Utility-Maximizing Teams," Working Papers 1006, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Helmut Dietl & Martin Grossmann & Markus Lang, 2009. "Competitive Balance and Revenue Sharing in Sports Leagues with Utility-Maximizing Teams," Working Papers 0033, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA), revised Jun 2010.
- KÉSENNE, Stefan, .
"Revenue sharing and competitive balance in professional team sports,"
1999019, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Stefan Kesenne, 2000. "Revenue Sharing and Competitive Balance in Professional Team Sports," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 1(1), pages 56-65, February.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2005. "Can We Predict The Outcome Of The International Football Tournaments : The Case Of Euro 2000?," Microeconomics 0503008, EconWPA.
- Brad R. Humphreys, 2002. "Alternative Measures of Competitive Balance in Sports Leagues," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 3(2), pages 133-148, May.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2006.
"The impact of football point systems on the competitive balance: evidence from some european football leagues,"
Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport,
Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 2(2), pages 67-76, Dicembre.
- HALICIOGLU, Ferda, 2006. "The impacts of football point systems on the competitive balance: evidence from some European footbal leagues," MPRA Paper 10798, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2005. "The saving and investment nexus for China: evidence from cointegration tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(17), pages 1979-1990.
- Halicioglu Ferda, 2009.
"Research on the Prediction of the likely Winners of the Euro 2008 Football Tournament,"
Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(3), pages 1-15, July.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2008. "Research on the Prediction of the likely Winners of the Euro 2008 Football Tournament," MPRA Paper 15567, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jeffery Borland, 2003. "Demand for Sport," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(4), pages 478-502, Winter.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.