Mixed Oligopoly under Demand Uncertainty
AbstractIn this paper we introduce product demand uncertainty in a mixed oligopoly model and reexamine the nature of sub-game perfect Nash equilibrium (SPNE) when firms decide in the first stage whether to lead or follow in the subsequent quantity-setting game. In the non-stochastic setting, Pal (1998) demonstrated that when the public firm competes with a domestic private firm, multiple equilibria exist but the efficient equilibrium outcome is for the public firm to follow. Matsumura (2003a) proved that when the public firm's rival is a foreign private firm, leadership of the public firm is both efficient as well as SPN equilibrium. Our stochastic model shows that when the leader must commit to output before the resolution of uncertainty, multiple SPNE is possible. Whether the equilibrium outcome is public or private leadership hinges upon the degree of privatization and market volatility. More importantly, Pareto-inefficient simultaneous production is a likely SPNE. Our results are driven by the fact that the resolution of uncertainty enhances the profits of the follower firm in a manner that is well known in real option theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 3451.
Date of creation: 08 Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Mixed oligopoly; Partial privatization; Demand Uncertainty;
Other versions of this item:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-06-11 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2007-06-11 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2007-06-11 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2007-06-11 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M., 1990.
"Endogenous timing in duopoly games: Stackelberg or cournot equilibria,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-46, March.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Slutsky, S.M., 1988. "Endogenous Timing In Duopoly Games: Stackelberg Or Cournot Equilibria," Papers 88-4, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Pal, Debashis, 1998. "Endogenous timing in a mixed oligopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 181-185, November.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Yuanzhu Lu & Sougata Poddar, 2004.
"The Choice of Capacity in Mixed Duopoly under Demand Uncertainty,"
CEMA Working Papers
507, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Yuanzhu Lu & Sougata Poddar, 2006. "The Choice Of Capacity In Mixed Duopoly Under Demand Uncertainty," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(3), pages 266-272, 06.
- Kyle Bagwell, 1992.
"Commitment and Observability in Games,"
1014, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Jacques, Armel, 2004. "Endogenous timing in a mixed oligopoly: a forgotten equilibrium," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 147-148, May.
- Saloner, Garth, 1987. "Cournot duopoly with two production periods," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 183-187, June.
- Yuanzhu Lu, 2006.
"Endogenous Timing in a Mixed Oligopoly with Foreign Competitors: the Linear Demand Case,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 88(1), pages 49-68, June.
- Yuanzhu Lu, 2005. "Endogenous Timing in a Mixed Oligopoly with Foreign Competitors: the Linear Demand Case," CEMA Working Papers 506, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Lu, Yuanzhu, 2007. "Endogenous timing in a mixed oligopoly: Another forgotten equilibrium," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 226-227, February.
- Amir, Rabah & Grilo, Isabel, 1999. "Stackelberg versus Cournot Equilibrium," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-21, January.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1990. " Game Theoretic Models of Mixed Oligopoly," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 1-17.
- Kenneth Fjell & Debashis Pal, 1996. "A Mixed Oligopoly in the Presence of Foreign Private Firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(3), pages 737-43, August.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro, 1998. "Partial privatization in mixed duopoly," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 473-483, December.
- Winston Chang, 2005. "Optimal Trade and Privatization Policies in an International Duopoly with Cost Asymmetry," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 19-42.
- Stennek, Johan, 1999. "The expected consumer's surplus as a welfare measure," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 265-288, August.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Osamu Kanda, 2005. "Mixed Oligopoly at Free Entry Markets," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 27-48, 02.
- Midori Hirokawa & Dan Sasaki, 2001. "Endogenously Asynchronous Entries into an Uncertain Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 435-461, 09.
- Balogh, Tamás L. & Tasnádi, Attila, 2011.
"Does timing of decisions in a mixed duopoly matter?,"
30993, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tamás Balogh & Attila Tasnádi, 2012. "Does timing of decisions in a mixed duopoly matter?," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 106(3), pages 233-249, July.
- Jianhu Zhang & Changying Li, 2013. "Endogenous timing in a mixed oligopoly under demand uncertainty," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 108(3), pages 273-289, April.
- Li, Changying & Zhang, Jianhu, 2011. "Equilibrium locations in a mixed duopoly with sequential entry in real time," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1211-1218, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.