Price dispersion in the housing market: the role of bargaining and search costs
AbstractThis paper develops a matching model à la Pissarides (2000) in order to explain the basic facts of housing markets, most of all the variance in house prices. Price dispersion is basically due to both the ex-ante heterogeneity of the parties and the search costs of buyers and sellers. In fact, sellers and buyers spend time and money before concluding the deal. Furthermore, the house price is substantially determined by bargaining between the parties. These factors affect the selling price and lead to price dispersion. This simple theoretical model is able to take these distinctive features into account, thus explaining the basic facts of housing markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 33863.
Date of creation: 02 Oct 2011
Date of revision:
house prices; price dispersion; bargaining power; search frictions;
Other versions of this item:
- Gaetano Lisi, 2011. "Price Dispersion in the Housing Market: The Role of Bargaining and Search Costs," Working Papers hal-00628323, HAL.
- R0 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2011-10-15 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-URE-2011-10-15 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eyal Baharad & Benjamin Eden, 2003.
"Price Rigidity and Price Dispersion: Evidence from Micro Data,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0321, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Eyal Baharad & Benjamin Eden, 2004. "Price Rigidity and Price Dispersion: Evidence from Micro Data," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(3), pages 613-641, July.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000.
"Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001. "Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000. "Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Charles Leung & Youngman Leong & Siu Wong, 2006.
"Housing Price Dispersion: An Empirical Investigation,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 357-385, May.
- Charles Ka-Yui Leung & Youngman Chun Fai Leong & Siu Kei Wong, 2005. "Housing Price Dispersion: An Empirical Investigation," Departmental Working Papers _167, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Charles Ka Yui Leung & Youngman Chun Fai Leong & Siu Kei Wong, 2005. "Housing Price Dispersion: an empirical investigation," Discussion Papers 00012, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Charles K. Y. Leung & Garion C. K. Lau & Youngman C. F. Leong, 2002. "Testing Alternative Theories of the Property Price-Trading Volume Correlation," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 23(3), pages 253-264.
- Gabriel, Stuart A. & Shack-Marquez, Janice & Wascher, William L., 1992.
"Regional house-price dispersion and interregional migration,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 235-256, September.
- Stuart A. Gabriel & Janice Shack-Marquez & William L. Wascher, 1990. "Regional house price dispersion and interregional migration," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Stuart A. Gabriel & Janice Shack-Marquez & William L. Wascher, 1991. "Regional house-price dispersion and interregional migration," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 122, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Wheaton, William C, 1990. "Vacancy, Search, and Prices in a Housing Market Matching Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1270-92, December.
- Andrew Caplin & John Leahy, 2008.
"Trading Frictions and House Price Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
14605, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Wong & K. Chau & C. Yiu, 2007. "Volatility Transmission in the Real Estate Spot and Forward Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 281-293, October.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, December.
- Genesove, David & Han, Lu, 2012.
"Search and matching in the housing market,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 31-45.
- Jeffrey Fisher & Dean Gatzlaff & David Geltner & Donald Haurin, 2003. "Controlling for the Impact of Variable Liquidity in Commercial Real Estate Price Indices," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 31(2), pages 269-303, 06.
- Antonio M. Merlo & François Ortalo-Magné, 2002.
"Bargaining over Residential Real Estate: Evidence from England,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
778, CESifo Group Munich.
- Merlo, Antonio & Ortalo-Magne, Francois, 2004. "Bargaining over residential real estate: evidence from England," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 192-216, September.
- François Ortalo-Magné & Antonio Merlo, 2002. "Bargaining over Residential Real Estate: Evidence from England," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 02-02, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Lisi, Gaetano, 2011.
"The Hedonic Price Function in a Matching Model of Housing Market,"
32697, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gaetano Lisi, 2011. "The Hedonic Price Function in a Matching Model of Housing Market," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2347-2355.
- Michael R. Baye & John Morgan & Patrick Scholten, 2006. "Information, Search, and Price Dispersion," Working Papers 2006-11, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- John P. Harding & John R. Knight & C.F. Sirmans, 2003. "Estimating Bargaining Effects in Hedonic Models: Evidence from the Housing Market," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 31(4), pages 601-622, December.
- C. Y. Yiu & K. F. Man & S. K. Wong, 2008. "Trading Volume and Price Dispersion in Housing Markets," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 203-219, December.
- Tristan-Pierre Maury & Fabien Tripier, 2010. "Strategies for search on the housing market and their implications for price dispersion," Working Papers hal-00480484, HAL.
- Leung, Charles Ka Yui & Zhang, Jun, 2011. "“Fire Sales” in housing market: is the house-searching process similar to a theme park visit?," MPRA Paper 29127, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- S. Wong & C. Yiu & M. Tse & K. Chau, 2006. "Do the Forward Sales of Real Estate Stabilize Spot Prices?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 289-304, May.
- Quan, Daniel C & Quigley, John M, 1991. "Price Formation and the Appraisal Function in Real Estate Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 127-46, June.
- James Albrecht & Axel Anderson & Eric Smith & Susan Vroman, 2007. "Opportunistic Matching In The Housing Market," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(2), pages 641-664, 05.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.