Trading Frictions and House Price Dynamics
AbstractWe construct a model of trade with matching frictions. The model provides a simple characterization for the joint proces of prices, sales and inventory. We compare the implications of the model to certain properties of housing markets. The model can generate the large price changes and the positive correlation between prices and sales that we see in the data. Unlike the data, prices are negatively autocorrelated and high inventory predicts price appreciation. We investigate several amendments to the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
Other versions of this item:
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bental, Benjamin & Eden, Benjamin, 1993.
"Inventories in a Competitive Environment,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(5), pages 863-86, October.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Prescott, Edward C., 1974. "Equilibrium search and unemployment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 188-209, February.
- John R. Knight, 2002. "Listing Price, Time on Market, and Ultimate Selling Price: Causes and Effects of Listing Price Changes," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 213-237.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, 2006.
NBER Working Papers
12787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1989.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
NBER Working Papers
2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-37, March.
- Wheaton, William C, 1990. "Vacancy, Search, and Prices in a Housing Market Matching Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1270-92, December.
- Fran�ois Ortalo-Magné & Sven Rady, 2006. "Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints ," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 73(2), pages 459-485.
- Sven Rady & François Ortalo-Magné, 2001.
"Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
470, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ortalo-Magné, François & Rady, Sven, 2001. "Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 3015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ortalo-Magné, François & Rady, Sven, 2005. "Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraint," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 50, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Sven Rady, 2001. "Housing Market Dynamics: on the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints," FMG Discussion Papers dp375, Financial Markets Group.
- François Ortalo-Magné & Sven Rady, 2002. "Housing Market Dynamics: On the Contribution of Income Shocks and Credit Constraints," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 02-01, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- James Albrecht & Axel Anderson & Eric Smith & Susan Vroman, 2007. "Opportunistic Matching In The Housing Market," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(2), pages 641-664, 05.
- Prescott, Edward C, 1975. "Efficiency of the Natural Rate," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(6), pages 1229-36, December.
- Krainer, John, 2001. "A Theory of Liquidity in Residential Real Estate Markets," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 32-53, January.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Gaetano Lisi, 2011.
"The Hedonic Price Function in a Matching Model of Housing Market,"
AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2347-2355.
- Lisi, Gaetano, 2011. "The Hedonic Price Function in a Matching Model of Housing Market," MPRA Paper 32697, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gaetano Lisi, 2011.
"Price Dispersion in the Housing Market: The Role of Bargaining and Search Costs,"
- Lisi, Gaetano, 2011. "Price dispersion in the housing market: the role of bargaining and search costs," MPRA Paper 33863, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elliot Anenberg & Patrick Bayer, 2013. "Endogenous sources of volatility in housing markets: the joint buyer-seller problem," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-60, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gaetano Lisi, 2013.
"Can the Mortensen-Pissarides Model Match the Housing Market Facts?,"
Journal of Economics and Econometrics,
Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels, vol. 56(2), pages 78-92.
- Lisi, Gaetano, 2012. "Can the Mortensen-Pissarides model match the housing market facts?," MPRA Paper 36769, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gaetano Lisi, 2013. "Can the Montersen-Pissarides Model Match the Housing Market Facts?," Working Papers 1312, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Genesove, David & Han, Lu, 2010.
"Search and Matching in the Housing Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7777, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jonathan Halket & Matteo Pignatti, 2012. "Housing tenure choices with private information," Economics Discussion Papers 717, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Gaetano Lisi, 2014.
"Home-seekers in the Housing Market,"
International Real Estate Review,
Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 17(1), pages 47-62.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2011.
"Liquidity in frictional asset markets,"
1105, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- S. Boragan Aruoba & Morris A. Davis & Randall Wright, 2012. "Homework in Monetary Economics: Inflation, Home Production, and the Production of Homes," NBER Working Papers 18276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.