Home seekers in the housing market
AbstractThere are two types of home seekers in this housing market matching model: the homeless who search for a dwelling both in the rental market and in the homeownership market simultaneously; and the home seekers in the renter (tenant) state who want to buy a home and only search in the homeownership market. The search process leads to several types of matching and in turn this implies different prices of equilibrium. Furthermore, the search process connects the rental market with the homeownership market. Hence, this simple model is able to explain both the relationship between the rental price and the selling price and the price dispersion which exists in the housing market, relying only on the different states of agents in the search process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37065.
Date of creation: 26 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
rental market; homeownership market; housing price dispersion;
Other versions of this item:
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Genesove, David & Han, Lu, 2012.
"Search and matching in the housing market,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 31-45.
- James Albrecht & Pieter A. Gautier & Susan Vroman, 2010.
"Directed Search in the Housing Market,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
10-005/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Albrecht, James & Gautier, Pieter A. & Vroman, Susan, 2010. "Directed Search in the Housing Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 7639, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Albrecht, James & Gautier, Pieter & Vroman, Susan, 2009. "Directed Search in the Housing Market," IZA Discussion Papers 4671, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Susan Vroman & Pieter Gautier & James Albrecht, 2007. "Directed Search in the Housing Market," 2007 Meeting Papers 372, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, January.
- Robert Novy-Marx, 2009. "Hot and Cold Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 37(1), pages 1-22.
- Andrew Caplin & John Leahy, 2011.
"Trading Frictions and House Price Dynamics,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43, pages 283-303, October.
- Charles Ka Yui Leung & Jun Zhang, 2011. "¡§Fire Sales¡¨ in Housing Market: Is the House- Search Process Similar to a Theme Park Visit?," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 311-329.
- James M. Poterba, 1983.
"Tax Subsidies to Owner-occupied Housing: An Asset Market Approach,"
339, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Poterba, James M, 1984. "Tax Subsidies to Owner-occupied Housing: An Asset-Market Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 99(4), pages 729-52, November.
- Denise DiPasquale & William C. Wheaton, 1992. "The Markets for Real Estate Assets and Space: A Conceptual Framework," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 181-198.
- Charles Ka Yui Leung & Youngman Chun Fai Leong & Siu Kei Wong, 2005.
"Housing Price Dispersion: an empirical investigation,"
00012, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Charles Leung & Youngman Leong & Siu Wong, 2006. "Housing Price Dispersion: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 357-385, May.
- Charles Ka-Yui Leung & Youngman Chun Fai Leong & Siu Kei Wong, 2005. "Housing Price Dispersion: An Empirical Investigation," Departmental Working Papers _167, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Brian Petereson, 2009. "Fooled by Search: Housing Prices, Turnover and Bubbles," Caepr Working Papers 2009-004, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Krainer, John, 2001. "A Theory of Liquidity in Residential Real Estate Markets," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 32-53, January.
- Wheaton, William C, 1990. "Vacancy, Search, and Prices in a Housing Market Matching Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1270-92, December.
- James Albrecht & Axel Anderson & Eric Smith & Susan Vroman, 2007. "Opportunistic Matching In The Housing Market," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(2), pages 641-664, 05.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.