On the number of blocks required to access the core
AbstractFor any transferable utility game in coalitional form with nonempty core, we show that that the number of blocks required to switch from an imputation out of the core to an imputation in the core is less than or equal to n(n-1)/2, where n is the cardinality of the player set. This number considerably improves the upper bounds found so far by Koczy (2006) and Yang (2010). Our result relies on an altered version of the procedure proposed by Sengupta and Sengupta (1996). The use of the Davis-Maschler reduced-games is also pointed out.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 26578.
Date of creation: 09 Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Core; excess function; dominance path; Davis-Maschler reduced-game;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2010-11-20 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-GTH-2010-11-20 (Game Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Béal, Sylvain & Durieu, Jacques & Solal, Philippe, 2007.
"Farsighted Coalitional Stability in TU-games,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
07-57, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Yang, Yi-You, 2010. "On the accessibility of the core," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 194-199, May.
- Koczy, Laszlo A., 2006.
"The core can be accessed with a bounded number of blocks,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 56-64, December.
- Laszlo.A.Koczy, 2005. "The Core Can Be Accessed with a Bounded Number of Blocks," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0512, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Kóczy,László Á., 2005. "The Core Can Be Accessed with a Bounded Number of Blocks," Research Memoranda 042, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Maniquet, F., 2000.
"A Characterization of the Shapley Value in Queueing Problems,"
222, Notre-Dame de la Paix, Sciences Economiques et Sociales.
- Maniquet, Francois, 2003. "A characterization of the Shapley value in queueing problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 90-103, March.
- MANIQUET, François, . "A characterization of the Shapley value in queueing problems," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1662, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- John C. Harsanyi, 1974. "An Equilibrium-Point Interpretation of Stable Sets and a Proposed Alternative Definition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(11), pages 1472-1495, July.
- Manea, Mihai, 2007. "Core tatonnement," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 331-349, March.
- Sengupta, Abhijit & Sengupta, Kunal, 1996. "A Property of the Core," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 266-273, February.
- Peleg, B, 1986. "On the Reduced Game Property and Its Converse," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 187-200.
- Béal, Sylvain & Rémila, Eric & Solal, Philippe, 2011. "On the number of blocks required to access the coalition structure core," MPRA Paper 29755, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yang, Yi-You, 2011. "Accessible outcomes versus absorbing outcomes," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 65-70, July.
- Yang, Yi-You, 2012. "On the accessibility of core-extensions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 687-698.
- Péter Szikora, 2013. "Introduction into the literature of cooperative game theory with special emphasis on dynamic games and the core," Proceedings- 11th International Conference on Mangement, Enterprise and Benchmarking (MEB 2013), Óbuda University, Keleti Faculty of Business and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.