Foreign direct investment and economic integration
AbstractIn this paper, we explore the role of foreign direct investment (FDI) on the competitiveness of emerging economies and economic integration. We structure the paper as follows. Following this Introduction (Section I), in Section II, we assess briefly and critically extant theories of FDI and the MNE. In Section III, we critically assess competitiveness and catching-up theory and policy and the role of FDI in this context. Section IV sets off from limitations of extant scholarship identified in the previous section to develop a novel framework for competitiveness and catching-up and discuss the role of FDI, clusters and government policy in its context. Section V discusses ways through which emerging economies can effect economic integration through enhanced competitiveness and accelerated catching-up, by leveraging strategies informed from recent developments on scholarship in International Business (IB) strategy. Section VI summarizes and concludes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 23938.
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Foreign Direct Investment; Multinational Enterprise; International Competitiveness; Integration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pitelis, Christos N., 2004. "Edith Penrose and the resource-based view of (international) business strategy," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 523-532, August.
- Christos N. Pitelis, 2004. "(Corporate) Governance, (Shareholder) Value and (Sustainable) Economic Performance," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 210-223, 04.
- Christos Pitelis, 1994. "Industrial Strategy: For Britain, in Europe and the World," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 21(5), pages 3-92, October.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1972. "The Irrelevance of Equilibrium Economics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(328), pages 1237-55, December.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Transactions cost economics and the multinational enterprise An Assessment," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 21-45, March.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2002.
"Deconstructing Clusters: Chaotic Concept or Policy Panacea,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp244, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2003. "Deconstructing clusters: chaotic concept or policy panacea?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 5-35, January.
- Kottaridi, Constantina & Papanastassiou, Marina & Pitelis, Christos & Thomakos, Dimitrios, 2008.
"The Multinational Corporation and the Global Sourcing of Knowledge: Remodeling Absorptive Capacity,"
DYNREG35, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Constantina Kottaridi & Marina Papanastassiou & Christos Pitelis & Dimitrios Thomakos, 2007. "The Multinational Corporation and the global sourcing of knowledge: Remodeling absorptive capacity," Working Papers 008, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics.
- Christos N. Pitelis, 2002. "Stephen Hymer: Life and the Political Economy of Multinational Corporate Capital," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(1), pages 9-26, December.
- Alice H. Amsden, 2009. "Escape from Empire: The Developing World's Journey through Heaven and Hell," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262513153, January.
- Michelle Baddeley, 2006. "Convergence or Divergence? The Impacts of Globalisation on Growth and Inequality in Less Developed Countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 391-410.
- Chang, Ha-Joon, 1993. "The Political Economy of Industrial Policy in Korea," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 131-57, June.
- Bengt-�ke Lundvall, 2007. "National Innovation Systems—Analytical Concept and Development Tool," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 95-119.
- Martin, Ron, 1999. "The New 'Geographical Turn' in Economics: Some Critical Reflections," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 65-91, January.
- Pitelis, Christos, 2007. "Edith Penrose and a learning-based perspective on the MNE and OLI," MPRA Paper 24318, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- North, Douglass C., 1993.
"Economic Performance through Time,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1993-2, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karl Aiginger, 2006. "Competitiveness: From a Dangerous Obsession to a Welfare Creating Ability with Positive Externalities," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 161-177, June.
- Grabowski, Richard, 1994. "The successful developmental state: Where does it come from?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 413-422, March.
- Jan Fagerberg & Martin Srholec, 2005. "Catching up: What are the Critical Factors for success?," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20050401, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1996.
"Trade and uneven growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 229-256, April.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- A Verbeke, 2003. "The evolutionary view of the MNE and the future of internalization theory," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(6), pages 498-504, November.
- Serra, Narcis & Stiglitz, Joseph E. (ed.), 2008. "The Washington Consensus Reconsidered: Towards a New Global Governance," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199534098.
- Bas ter Weel & L. Soete & B. Verspagen, 2010.
"Systems of innovation,"
CPB Discussion Paper
138, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Soete, Luc & Verspagen, Bart & Weel, Bas ter, 2009. "Systems of Innovation," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 062, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Soete, Luc & Verspagen, Bart & Weel, Bas ter, 2009. "Systems of Innovation," MERIT Working Papers 062, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Young, Allyn A., 1928. "Increasing Returns and Economic Progress," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 38, pages 527-542.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Dunning, John H., 2000. "The eclectic paradigm as an envelope for economic and business theories of MNE activity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-190, April.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1987. "Is Free Trade Passe?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 131-44, Fall.
- J. Metcalfe, 2002. "On the Optimality of the Competitive Process: Kimura's Theorem and Market Dynamics," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 109-133, May.
- Pitelis, Christos, 2009. "The co-evolution of organizational value capture, value creation and sustainable advantage," MPRA Paper 23937, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Karl Aiginger, 2006. "Revisiting an Evasive Concept: Introduction to the Special Issue on Competitiveness," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 63-66, June.
- Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2001.
"Technology-Gaps, Innovation-Diffusion And Transformation: An Evolutionary Interpretation,"
11, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Verspagen, Bart, 2002. "Technology-gaps, innovation-diffusion and transformation: an evolutionary interpretation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1291-1304, December.
- Fine, Ben, 2000. "Endogenous Growth Theory: A Critical Assessment," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(2), pages 245-65, March.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Deraniyagala, Sonali & Fine, Ben, 2001. "New Trade Theory versus Old Trade Policy: A Continuing Enigma," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(6), pages 809-25, November.
- Pitelis, Christos (ed.), 2002. "The Growth of the Firm: The Legacy of Edith Penrose," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199248520.
- John Cantwell & Simona Iammarino, 2000. "Multinational Corporations and the Location of Technological Innovation in the UK Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 317-332.
- Richardson, G B, 1972. "The Organisation of Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 883-96, September.
- Richard R. Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 2002. "Evolutionary Theorizing in Economics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(2), pages 23-46, Spring.
- Teece, David J., 2006. "Reflections on the Hymer thesis and the multinational enterprise," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 124-139, April.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- P Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 1993. "Intergration," CEP Discussion Papers dp0172, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Jan Fagerberg & Manuel Godinho, 2003. "Innovation and catching-up," Working Papers 24, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Shapiro, Helen & Taylor, Lance, 1990. "The state and industrial strategy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 861-878, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.