The Growth of the Firm: The Legacy of Edith Penrose
Additional information is available for the following registered editor(s):
AbstractEdith Penrose has been one of the most significant economists of the second part of the twentieth century. Her contribution to the theory of the firm has reinvented and productively developed the classical tradition in economics. It has informed the currently dominant resource/knowledge-based theory of the firm. Penrose's contribution, however, extends to a great variety of areas, to include industry organization, strategic management, international business, human resource management, economics of innovation and technological change, history, methodology, macroeconomics, and much more. This volume builds on a special issue of Contributions to Political Economy, that celebrated forty years since Penrose's classic The Theory of the Growth of the Firm. It includes fourteen chapters by leading contributors on the aforementioned aspects of Penrose's work. This book celebrates Penrose's contribution to economics and management. Leading scholars (including such 'classic' names as Robin Marris and George Richardson), assess Penrose's contribution to economics, strategic management, industry organization, and more. Using a Penrosean lens, these authors address the most important issues such as resource allocation and resource creation, co-ordination, innovation and growth. They cover topics ranging from the nature of the firm, firm growth, and strategy, to multinational firms, industry organization, innovation, and economic development. In so doing, they make contributions to scholarship of the highest quality, with significant implications for business and government policy on competition, industry, and development. Contributors to this volume - C. Pitelis (Judge Institute of Management Studies, Cambridge) P. Penrose (Chairman, Penrose & Associates, UK; Judge Institute, Cambridge) G. B. Richardson (St John's College, Oxford) B. J. Loasby (University of Stirling) R. Marris (Emeritus Professor, Birkbeck College, London) N. Kay (University of Strathclyde) E. Garnsey (Judge Institute of Management Studies) N. J. Foss (Copenhagen Business School) J. T. Ravix (IDEFI - LATAPSES, CNRS; University of Nice Sophia Antipolis) M. H. Best (University of Massachusetts-Lowell) M. Turvani (University of Venice) J. Cantwell (University of Reading) W. Lazonick (INSEAD) S. Ghoshal (London Business School) M. Hahn (MIT Sloan School of Management) P. Moran (London Business School)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Oxford University Press in its series OUP Catalogue with number 9780199248520 and published in 2002.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.oup.com/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pitelis, Christos, 2009. "Edith Penrose’s ‘The Theory of the Growth of the Firm’ Fifty Years Later," MPRA Paper 23180, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pitelis, Christos & Teece, David, 2009. "The (new) nature and essence of the firm," MPRA Paper 24317, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andy Lockett, 2005. "Edith Penrose's legacy to the resource-based view," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(2), pages 83-98.
- Kottaridi, Constantina & Papanastassiou, Marina & Pitelis, Christos & Thomakos, Dimitrios, 2008.
"The Multinational Corporation and the Global Sourcing of Knowledge: Remodeling Absorptive Capacity,"
DYNREG35, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Constantina Kottaridi & Marina Papanastassiou & Christos Pitelis & Dimitrios Thomakos, 2007. "The Multinational Corporation and the global sourcing of knowledge: Remodeling absorptive capacity," Working Papers 008, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics.
- Pitelis, Christos, 2007. "A note on Cyert and March (1963) and Penrose (1959): A case for synergy," MPRA Paper 23939, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pitelis, Christos, 2009. "Foreign direct investment and economic integration," MPRA Paper 23938, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Dunning & Sarianna Lundan, 2008. "Institutions and the OLI paradigm of the multinational enterprise," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 573-593, December.
- Pitelis, Christos, 2007. "Edith Penrose and a learning-based perspective on the MNE and OLI," MPRA Paper 24318, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dalhammar, Tobias & Brown, Terrence E., 2006. "Industrial effects on resource acquisition: Immigrant enterprises in Kista, Stockholm," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 56, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economics Book Marketing).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.