Stephen Hymer's contribution to international business scholarship: an assessment and extension
AbstractWe assess Stephen Hymer's contribution to the theory of the multinational enterprise and to international business (IB) scholarship. We focus on Hymer's evolving analytical framework, and assess it in terms of its internal consistency and in the light of the shifting global landscape and scholarly thinking. We also extend Hymer's framework, revisit his predictions, and conclude by questioning his canonical status within the IB profession. Journal of International Business Studies (2008) 39, 167–176. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400328
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peter G. Klein & Joseph T. Mahoney & Anita McGahan & Christos N. Pitelis, 2010.
"Toward a Theory of Public Entrepreneurship,"
DRUID Working Papers
10-07, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Pitelis, Christos & Teece, David, 2009. "The (new) nature and essence of the firm," MPRA Paper 24317, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pitelis, Christos & Teece, David, 2010.
"Cross-border Market Co-creation, Dynamic Capabilities and the Entrepreneurial Theory of the Multinational Enterprise,"
23301, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christos N. Pitelis & David J. Teece, 2010. "Cross-border market co-creation, dynamic capabilities and the entrepreneurial theory of the multinational enterprise," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(4), pages 1247-1270, August.
- Constantina Kottaridi & Marina Papanastassiou & Christos Pitelis & Dimitrios Thomakos, 2007.
"The Multinational Corporation and the global sourcing of knowledge: Remodeling absorptive capacity,"
008, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics.
- Kottaridi, Constantina & Papanastassiou, Marina & Pitelis, Christos & Thomakos, Dimitrios, 2008. "The Multinational Corporation and the Global Sourcing of Knowledge: Remodeling Absorptive Capacity," Papers DYNREG35, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Piteli, Eleni E.N., 2009. "Foreign Direct Investment in Developed Economies: A Comparison between European and non - European Countries," Papers DYNREG44, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Pitelis, Christos, 2009. "Edith Penrose’s ‘The Theory of the Growth of the Firm’ Fifty Years Later," MPRA Paper 23180, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manuel Portugal Ferreira & Nuno Rosa Reis & Fernando Ribeiro Serra & Benny Kramer Costa, 2013. "Understanding the footprint of the RBV in International Business studies: The last twenty years of research," Working Papers 96, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.