National Innovation Systems—Analytical Concept and Development Tool
AbstractThe term national system of innovation has been around for more than 20 years and today it has become widely spread among policy makers as well as among scholars all over the world. This paper takes stock and looks ahead from a somewhat personal point of view. It also gives some insight into how and why the concept came about. The paper argues that a key to progress is to get a better understanding of knowledge and learning as the basis for innovation and to understand how different modes of innovation complement each other and find support in the specific national context. A core of the innovation system is defined and it is illustrated that it is necessary both to understand micro-behaviour in the core and understand “the wider setting” within which the core operates. Concepts used in organization theory referring to fit and misfit may be used to enrich the understanding of the performance of innovation systems. At the end of the paper I discuss some further developments needed to make the concept relevant and applicable to developing countries. Here special attention is given to institutions and capabilities supporting learning. I point to the need to give more emphasis to the distribution of power, to institution building and to the openness of innovation systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Industry and Innovation.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIAI20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Conlé, Marcus, 2010. "Health biotechnology in China: National, regional, and sectoral dimensions," Duisburger Arbeitspapiere Ostasienwissenschaften 87/2010, University of Duisburg-Essen, Institute of East Asian Studies IN-EAST.
- Morero, Hernan Alejandro, 2013.
"Internacionalizacion y Sistema Nacional de Innovacion argentino: una perspectiva de tramas productivas. Los casos automotriz y siderurgico
[Internationlization and argentinean National System of In," MPRA Paper 44409, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Coenen, Lars & Benneworth, Paul & Truffer, Bernhard, 2012.
"Toward a spatial perspective on sustainability transitions,"
Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 968-979.
- Coenen, Lars & Benneworth, Paul & Truffer, Bernhard, 2010. "Towards a spatial perspective on sustainability transitions," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2010/8, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Pitelis, Christos & Kelmendi, Pellumb, 2009. "The political economy of European anti-trust and industrial policy," MPRA Paper 23941, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kiss, Bernadett & Neij, Lena, 2011. "The importance of learning when supporting emergent technologies for energy efficiency - A case study on policy intervention for learning for the development of energy efficient windows in Sweden," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6514-6524, October.
- Dodgson, M. & Foster, J. & Hughes, A. & Metcalfe, J.S., 2009.
"Systems Thinking, Market Failure, and the Development of Innovation Policy: The Case of Australia,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp397, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Dodgson, Mark & Hughes, Alan & Foster, John & Metcalfe, Stan, 2011. "Systems thinking, market failure, and the development of innovation policy: The case of Australia," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1145-1156.
- Mark Dodgson & Alan Hughes & John Foster & J.S. Metcalfe, 2010. "Systems thinking, market failure, and the development of innovation policy- The case of Australia," Discussion Papers Series 403, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2011. "Regional heterogeneity and firms’ innovation: the role of regional factors in industrial R&D in India," MPRA Paper 28096, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guan, Jiancheng & Chen, Kaihua, 2012. "Modeling the relative efficiency of national innovation systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 102-115.
- Beckstead, Desmond Gellatly, Guy, 2006. "Capacites d'innovation : l'emploi en sciences et en genie au Canada et aux Etats-Unis," L'economie canadienne en transition 2006011f, Statistics Canada, Division de l'analyse economique.
- Pitelis, Christos, 2009. "Foreign direct investment and economic integration," MPRA Paper 23938, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G. Swann, 2010. "Commentary on Gregory Tassey’s “Rationales and mechanisms for revitalizing US manufacturing R&D strategies”," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 351-354, June.
- Barro, L. C. & Chadad, Fabio. R. & Claro, Danny P., 2007. "Políticas Públicas e Aprendizagem Tecnológica no Brasil: Os Casos dos Setores de Energia Elétrica e de Bens de Informática," Insper Working Papers wpe_83, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Per Frankelius & Fredrik Eliasson, 2011. "Innovative and socially motivated village development in a regional context: The Grythyttan case," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1536, European Regional Science Association.
- Kotsemir, Maxim & Abroskin, Alexander, 2013.
"Innovation Concepts and Typology – An Evolutionary Discussion,"
45069, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maxim Kotsemir & Alexander Abroskin & Dirk Meissner, 2013. "Innovation concepts and typology – an evolutionary discussion," HSE Working papers WP BRP 05/STI/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Klochikhin, Evgeny A., 2012. "Russia's innovation policy: Stubborn path-dependencies and new approaches," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1620-1630.
- Álvarez, Isabel & Marín, Raquel, 2010. "Entry modes and national systems of innovation," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 340-353, December.
- Castellacci, Fulvio & Natera, Jose Miguel, 2013.
"The dynamics of national innovation systems: A panel cointegration analysis of the coevolution between innovative capability and absorptive capacity,"
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 579-594.
- Fulvio, Castellacci & Jose Miguel, Natera, 2011. "The dynamics of national innovation systems: a panel cointegration analysis of the coevolution between innovative capability and absorptive capacity," MPRA Paper 31583, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Morero, Hernán, 2010.
"Internacionalización, Tramas Productivas y Sistema Nacional de Innovación
[Internationalization, Production Networks and National System of Innovation]," MPRA Paper 26964, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Falch, Morten, 2010. "Copenhagen as a centre of excellence for mobile and Wireless communication - the interplay between supply and demand," 21st European Regional ITS Conference, Copenhagen 2010: Telecommunications at new crossroads - Changing value configurations, user roles, and regulation 13, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.