Innovation concepts and typology – an evolutionary discussion
AbstractThis paper is devoted to the analysis of evolution of innovation concepts, aspects and types. First emergence and evolution of different aspects and concepts of innovation are analyzed, and then the development of innovation concepts from a historical perspective and finally an overview of the types of innovation classifications developed in the literature are given. Complementary the different definitions of innovation are described and analyzed in detail. The main goal of the article is to identify, describe and visualize the development trend of innovation conceptualization and understanding over time
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Research University Higher School of Economics in its series HSE Working papers with number WP BRP 05/STI/2013.
Length: 49 pages
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in WP BRP Series: Science, Technology and Innovation / STI, March 2013, pages 1-49
innovation concepts; innovation types; aspects of innovation; innovation systems; innovation ecosystems; typology of innovation; product innovation; process innovation; service innovation; marketing innovation; organization innovation; business innovation;
Other versions of this item:
- Kotsemir, Maxim & Abroskin, Alexander, 2013. "Innovation Concepts and Typology – An Evolutionary Discussion," MPRA Paper 45069, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- B10 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - General
- B20 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - General
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- Q55 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Technological Innovation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2013-10-11 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EVO-2013-10-11 (Evolutionary Economics)
- NEP-HME-2013-10-11 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-INO-2013-10-11 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2013-10-11 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-TID-2013-10-11 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth E. Knight, 1967. "A Descriptive Model of the Intra-Firm Innovation Process," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40, pages 478.
- Glen L. Urban & Eric von Hippel, 1988. "Lead User Analyses for the Development of New Industrial Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(5), pages 569-582, May.
- Niosi, Jorge, 1999. "Fourth-Generation R&D: From Linear Models to Flexible Innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 111-117, June.
- Persons, John C & Warther, Vincent A, 1997. "Boom and Bust Patterns in the Adoption of Financial Innovations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 939-67.
- Michael Woodford, 2000.
"Monetary Policy in a World Without Money,"
NBER Working Papers
7853, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard M. Walker & Claudia N. Avellaneda & Frances S. Berry, 2011. "Exploring The Diffusion Of Innovation Among High And Low Innovative Localities," Public Management Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 95-125, January.
- Frank Moulaert & Farid Sekia, 2003. "Territorial Innovation Models: A Critical Survey," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 289-302.
- Fernando Alvarez & Francesco Lippi, 2007.
"Financial Innovation and the Transactions Demand for Cash,"
EIEF Working Papers Series
0807, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2007.
- Fernando Alvarez & Francesco Lippi, 2009. "Financial Innovation and the Transactions Demand for Cash," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(2), pages 363-402, 03.
- Fernando E. Alvarez & Francesco Lippi, 2007. "Financial Innovation and the Transactions Demand for Cash," NBER Working Papers 13416, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alvarez, Fernando E & Lippi, Francesco, 2007. "Financial Innovation and the Transactions Demand for Cash," CEPR Discussion Papers 6472, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Julien Pénin & Caroline Hussler & Thierry Burger-Helmchen, 2011. "New shapes and new stakes: a portrait of open innovation as a promising phenomenon," Journal of Innovation Economics, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(1), pages 11-29.
- Nasierowski, W. & Arcelus, F. J., 2003. "On the efficiency of national innovation systems," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 215-234, September.
- Benjamin M. Friedman, 2000. "Decoupling at the Margin: The Threat to Monetary Policy from the Electronic Revolution in Banking," NBER Working Papers 7955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Goodhart, 2000. "Can Central Banking Survive the IT Revolution?," FMG Special Papers sp125, Financial Markets Group.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-71, September.
- Katz, J. Sylvan, 2006. "Indicators for complex innovation systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 893-909, September.
- Metcalfe, J S, 1995. "Technology Systems and Technology Policy in an Evolutionary Framework," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 25-46, February.
- Ta-Wei Pan & Shiu-Wan Hung & Wen-Min Lu, 2010. "Dea Performance Measurement Of The National Innovation System In Asia And Europe," Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research (APJOR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 27(03), pages 369-392.
- Eric von Hippel & Ralph Katz, 2002. "Shifting Innovation to Users via Toolkits," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(7), pages 821-833, July.
- Bengt-�ke Lundvall, 2007. "National Innovation Systems—Analytical Concept and Development Tool," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 95-119.
- Lundvall, Bengt-Ake & Johnson, Bjorn & Andersen, Esben Sloth & Dalum, Bent, 2002. "National systems of production, innovation and competence building," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 213-231, February.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Niosi, Jorge, 2002. "National systems of innovations are "x-efficient" (and x-effective): Why some are slow learners," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 291-302, February.
- Bergek, Anna & Jacobsson, Staffan & Carlsson, Bo & Lindmark, Sven & Rickne, Annika, 2008. "Analyzing the functional dynamics of technological innovation systems: A scheme of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 407-429, April.
- Mourad Dakhli & Dirk De Clercq, 2004. "Human capital, social capital, and innovation: a multi-country study," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 107-128, March.
- Abernathy, William J. & Clark, Kim B., 1985. "Innovation: Mapping the winds of creative destruction," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-22, February.
- Duffie Darrell & Rahi Rohit, 1995. "Financial Market Innovation and Security Design: An Introduction," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 1-42, February.
- Dahlin, Kristina B. & Behrens, Dean M., 2005. "When is an invention really radical?: Defining and measuring technological radicalness," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 717-737, June.
- Von Hippel, Eric A. & Katz, Ralph, 2002. "Shifting Innovation to Users Via Toolkits," Working papers 4232-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Tiwari, Rajnish & Herstatt, Cornelius, 2012. "Frugal innovations for the 'unserved' customer: An assessment of India's attractiveness as a lead Market for cost-effective products," Working Papers 69, Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH), Institute for Technology and Innovation Management.
- Volker Bilgram & Alexander Brem & Kai-Ingo Voigt, 2008. "User-Centric Innovations In New Product Development — Systematic Identification Of Lead Users Harnessing Interactive And Collaborative Online-Tools," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(03), pages 419-458.
- J Sylvan Katz & Viv Cothey, 2006. "Web indicators for complex innovation systems," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(2), pages 85-95, August.
- Etzkowitz, Henry & Leydesdorff, Loet, 2000. "The dynamics of innovation: from National Systems and "Mode 2" to a Triple Helix of university-industry-government relations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 109-123, February.
- Rothwell, R. & Freeman, C. & Horsley, A. & Jervis, V. T. P. & Robertson, A. B. & Townsend, J., 1993. "SAPPHO updated -- project SAPPHO phase II," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 110-110, April.
- Simone Strambach, 2002. "Change in the Innovation Process: New Knowledge Production and Competitive Cities--The Case of Stuttgart," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 215-231, March.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Freeman, C., 1991. "Networks of innovators: A synthesis of research issues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 499-514, October.
- Jean Carroll, 1967. "A Note on Departmental Autonomy and Innovation in Medical Schools," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40, pages 531.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1989. " Institutional Markets, Financial Marketing, and Financial Innovation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 541-56, July.
- Joshua Pearce, 2012. "The case for open source appropriate technology," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 425-431, June.
- Friedman, Benjamin M, 2000. "Decoupling at the Margin: The Threat to Monetary Policy from the Electronic Revolution in Banking," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 261-72, July.
- Oliveira, Pedro & von Hippel, Eric, 2011. "Users as service innovators: The case of banking services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 806-818, July.
- John E. Ettlie & William P. Bridges & Robert D. O'Keefe, 1984. "Organization Strategy and Structural Differences for Radical Versus Incremental Innovation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(6), pages 682-695, June.
- Robert D. Dewar & Jane E. Dutton, 1986. "The Adoption of Radical and Incremental Innovations: An Empirical Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(11), pages 1422-1433, November.
- Kotsemir, Maxim & Meissner, Dirk, 2013.
"Conceptualizing the Innovation Process – Trends and Outlook,"
46504, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maxim Kotsemir & Dirk Meissner, 2013. "Conceptualizing the innovation process – trends and outlook," HSE Working papers WP BRP 10/STI/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamil Abdulaev) or (Victoria Elkina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.