Privatización, competencia por depósitos y desempeño bancarios
[Privatization, competition for deposits and performance in banking]
AbstractIn this article we develop a microeconomic framework to study the relationships among privatization, competition for deposits and performance in banking. Particularly, we analyze banking privatization when competitive strategies of the Cournot and Stackelberg types are allowed. Our findings show that some conditions are necessary to justify it under the following criteria: (i) efficiency, (ii) market power/financial stability and (iii) consumption availability for depositors. They also show that privatizations are relatively easy to justify when leader-follower relationships are allowed in the banking system. Even government revenues, due to privatization, are higher when these relationships exist.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 23179.
Date of creation: 08 Apr 2010
Date of revision:
banking; privatization; competition; performance; deposits;
Other versions of this item:
- Antonio Ruiz-Porras, 2010. "Privatización, competencia por depósito y desempeño bancarios," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 37(1 Year 20), pages 67-104, June.
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-06-18 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2010-06-18 (Industrial Competition)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diaz-Alejandro, Carlos, 1985. "Good-bye financial repression, hello financial crash," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 1-24.
- Hutchison, David E, 1995. "Retail Bank Deposit Pricing: An Intertemporal Asset Pricing Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 217-31, February.
- José Méndez Naya, 2007. "Privatización y fusiones en oligopolios mixtos," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 34(1 Year 20), pages 37-52, June.
- Robert Stein, 1996. "Privatization and the arrangement of city services," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 23(esp Year ), pages 1-23, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1988.
"The price-concentration relationship in banking,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1987. "The price-concentration relationship in banking," Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 100, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Dowd, Kevin, 1996. "The Case for Financial Laissez-Faire," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 679-87, May.
- Bibhas Saha & Rudra Sensarma, 2004. "Divestment and Bank Competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 81(3), pages 223-247, 03.
- Berger, Allen N & Hannan, Timothy H, 1992. "The Price-Concentration Relationship in Banking: A Reply," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 376-79, May.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2008. "Microeconomics of Banking, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062704, December.
- Fry, Maxwell J, 1997. "In Favour of Financial Liberalisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 754-70, May.
- Calem, Paul S & Carlino, Gerald A, 1991.
"The Concentration/Conduct Relationship in Bank Deposit Markets,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 268-76, May.
- Paul S. Calem & Gerald A. Carlino, 1989. "The concentration/conduct relationship in bank deposit markets," Working Papers 89-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.