Retail Bank Deposit Pricing: An Intertemporal Asset Pricing Approach
AbstractFundamentally, spreads between market and deposit interest rates increase when interest rates rise and decline when rates fall. Recent empirical studies have found this phenomenon to be related to market concentration. Static equilibrium models are poorly equipped to explain this behavior. In this paper, the author applies an intertemporal asset pricing model incorporating bank deposits as a form of money in order to analyze the pricing behavior of a banking sector exercising market power. His results extend the theoretical literature on deposit pricing and provide some insights into the behavior of interest rate spreads through time. Copyright 1995 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 27 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonio Ruiz-Porras, 2010.
"Privatización, competencia por depósito y desempeño bancarios,"
Estudios de Economia,
University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 37(1 Year 20), pages 67-104, June.
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2010.
"Privatización, competencia por depósitos y desempeño bancarios
[Privatization, competition for deposits and performance in banking]," MPRA Paper 23179, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2010. "Privatización, competencia por depósitos y desempeño bancarios
- Paraschiv, Florentina, 2012. "Adjustment Policy of Deposit Rates in the Case of Swiss non-Maturing Savings Accounts," Working Papers on Finance 1219, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Su, Chi Wei & Chang, Hsu Ling, 2010. "Asymmetric Adjustment in the Lending-Deposit Rate Spread: Evidence from Eastern European Countries," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 165-175, July.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2008.
"How do banks set interest rates?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 792-819, July.
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2004. "How Do Banks Set Interest Rates?," NBER Working Papers 10295, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2005. "How Do Banks Set Interest Rates?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 542, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- James M. O'Brien, 2000. "Estimating the value and interest rate risk of interest-bearing transactions deposits," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-53, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Barry Scholnick, 1999. "Interest Rate Asymmetries in Long-Term Loan and Deposit Markets," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 5-26, September.
- Enzo Dia, 2004. "Imperfect Information and Monopolistic Pricing in the Banking Industry," Working Papers 74, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised May 2004.
- Ghossoub, Edgar A., 2012. "Liquidity risk and financial competition: Implications for asset prices and monetary policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 155-173.
- Kauko , Karlo, 2005.
"Bank interest rates in a small European economy: Some exploratory macro level analyses using Finnish data,"
Research Discussion Papers
9/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Karlo Kauko, 2005. "Bank interest rates in a small European economy: Some exploratory macro level analyses using Finnish data," Finance 0508020, EconWPA.
- Thompson, Mark A., 2006. "Asymmetric adjustment in the prime lending-deposit rate spread," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 323-329.
- Richard Rosen, 2002. "What Goes Up Must Come Down? Asymmetries and Persistence in Bank Deposit Rates," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 173-193, June.
- David Vanhoose, 1997. "Macroeconomic stability in a free banking system," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 25(4), pages 331-343, December.
- James Gilkeson & John List & Craig Ruff, 1999. "Evidence of Early Withdrawal in Time Deposit Portfolios," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 103-122, March.
- Enzo Dia, 2004. "Monopolistic Pricing in the Banking Industry: a Dynamic Portfolio Model," Finance 0411025, EconWPA.
- Leonardo Gambacorta & Simonetta Iannotti, 2005. "Are there asymmetries in the response of bank interest rates monetary shocks?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 566, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Nishiyama, Yasuo, 2011. "The term structure of CD rates and monetary policy transmission," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 82-94, January.
- Hans Dewachter & Marco Lyrio & Konstantijn Maes, 2006. "A multi-factor model for the valuation and risk managment of demand deposits," Working Paper Research 83, National Bank of Belgium.
- Michael J. Dueker, 2000. "Are prime rate changes asymmetric?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 33-40.
- Enzo Dia, 2004. "Monopolistic Pricing in the Banking Industry: a Dynamic Model," Working Papers 73, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised May 2004.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.