Spatial competition in a mixed duopoly with one partially nationalized firm
AbstractThis paper analyzes the effects of partial public ownership on product differentiation and social welfare in the framework of a mixed duopoly with spatial competition. It shows that unless the public ownership exceeds a critical level, maximal differentiation continues to hold and social welfare does not improve. However, both the critical level of ownership and the marginal effect of ownership on welfare vary between different types of the partially public firm, where the types relate to different decision making mechanisms. Next, when the partially public firm has higher production cost, it responds to nationalization less vigorously than the private firm. Journal of Comparative Economics 36 (2) (2008) 326-341.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Comparative Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622864
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1989. "Alternative Strategies of a Public Enterprise in Oligopoly," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 302-11, April.
- Bibhas Saha & Rudra Sensarma, 2004. "Divestment and Bank Competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 81(3), pages 223-247, 03.
- Kenneth Fjell & Debashis Pal, 1996. "A Mixed Oligopoly in the Presence of Foreign Private Firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(3), pages 737-43, August.
- Maria Paz Espinosa, 1992. "Delivered Pricing, FOB Pricing, and Collusion in Spatial Markets," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(1), pages 64-85, Spring.
- Zhang, Mingxia & Sexton, Richard J, 2001. "FOB or Uniform Delivered Prices: Strategic Choice and Welfare Effects," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 197-221, June.
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1997.
"Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1635-1654, December.
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Thisse, J.F., 1995. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," Papers 9505, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- de Palma, André & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1995. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 1136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- ANDERSON, S. P. & de PALMA, A. & THISSE, J.-F., . "Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1298, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- ANDERSON, Simon & de PALMA, André & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1996. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," CORE Discussion Papers 1996045, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Abarbanell, Jeffery S. & Bonin, John P., 1997. "Bank Privatization in Poland: The Case of Bank Slaski," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 31-61, August.
- Debashis Pal & Mark D. White, 1998. "Mixed Oligopoly, Privatization, and Strategic Trade Policy," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 264-281, October.
- Pal, Debashis, 1998. "Endogenous timing in a mixed oligopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 181-185, November.
- Nandini Gupta, 2005. "Partial Privatization and Firm Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 987-1015, 04.
- CREMER, Helmuth & MARCHAND, Maurice & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Mixed oligopoly with differentiated products,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-930, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2003. "Mixed Duopoly with Product Differentiation: Sequential Choice of Location," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 18-34, 03.
- White, Mark D., 1996. "Mixed oligopoly, privatization and subsidization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 189-195, November.
- Simeon Djankov & Peter Murrell, 2002.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-792, September.
- Djankov, Simeon & Murrell, Peter, 2002. "Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 3319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fershtman, Chaim, 1990. "The Interdependence between Ownership Status and Market Structure: The Case of Privatization," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 57(227), pages 319-28, August.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2004. "Endogenous Cost Differentials between Public and Private Enterprises: A Mixed Duopoly Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71(284), pages 671-688, November.
- Pal, Debashis, 1998. "Does Cournot competition yield spatial agglomeration?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 49-53, July.
- Ishibashi, Ikuo & Matsumura, Toshihiro, 2006. "R&D competition between public and private sectors," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1347-1366, August.
- Lorenz NETT, 1993. "Mixed Oligopoly With Homogeneous Goods," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 367-393, 07.
- Bárcena Ruiz, Juan Carlos & Garzón San Felipe, María Begoña, 2000.
"Mixed Duopoly, Merger and Multiproduct Firms,"
2000-10, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Noriaki Matsushima & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2003. "Mixed oligopoly and spatial agglomeration," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(1), pages 62-87, February.
- Pal, Debashis & Sarkar, Jyotirmoy, 2002. "Spatial competition among multi-store firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 163-190, February.
- Bennett, John & Maw, James, 2003. "Privatization, partial state ownership, and competition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 58-74, March.
- Matsushima, Noriaki, 2001. "Cournot competition and spatial agglomeration revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 175-177, November.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro, 1998. "Partial privatization in mixed duopoly," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 473-483, December.
- Wang, Leonard F.S. & Chen, Tai-Liang, 2011. "Mixed oligopoly, optimal privatization, and foreign penetration," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1465-1470, July.
- Francisco Martínez-Sánchez & Miguel González-Maestre, 2010. "The role of program quality and publicly-owned platforms in the free to air broadcasting industry," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-19, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Rupayan Pal & Bibhas Saha, 2011. "Environmental outcomes in a model of mixed duopoly," University of East Anglia Applied and Financial Economics Working Paper Series 030, School of Economics, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK..
- Juan Bárcena Ruiz & F. Casado-Izaga & Hamid Hamoudi, 2014. "Optimal zoning of a mixed duopoly," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 141-153, January.
- Miguel González-Maestre & Francisco Martínez-Sánchez, 2014. "The role of platform quality and publicly owned platforms in the free-to-air broadcasting industry," SERIEs, Spanish Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 105-124, March.
- Bibhas Saha, 2009. "Mixed ownership in a mixed duopoly with differentiated products," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 25-43, September.
- Joaquín Andaluz, 2011. "Validity of the “Principle of Maximum Product Differentiation” in a unionized mixed-duopoly," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 102(2), pages 123-136, March.
- Chen, Chien-Hsun & Mai, Chao-Cheng & Liu, Yu-Lin & Mai, Shin-Ying, 2009. "Privatization and optimal share release in the Chinese banking industry," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1161-1171, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.