FOB or Uniform Delivered Prices: Strategic Choice and Welfare Effects
AbstractIn spatial markets firms typically use either FOB (mill) or uniform delivered (UD) pricing. What competitive factors motivate this choice and what are the welfare implications of the choice? We study these questions in a duopsony market, where farmers with unit elastic supply curves sell to processing firms. In results that differ considerably from prior work, we show that the equilibrium price policy depends upon the extent of competition in the market, with FOB pricing emerging under very competitive structures and UD pricing emerging under less competition. Mixed FOB-UD pricing may also emerge in equilibrium. In most cases welfare is higher under UD than FOB pricing. Copyright 2001 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 49 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dasgupta, Partha & Maskin, Eric, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, I: Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 1-26, January.
- THISSE, Jacques-François & VIVES, Xavier, .
"On the strategic choice of spatial price policy,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-793, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & de PALMA, André & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Spatial price policies reconsidered,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-838, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Martin J. Beckmann, 1976. "Spatial Price Policies Revisited," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 7(2), pages 619-630, Autumn.
- Schuler, Richard E & Hobbs, Benjamin F, 1982. "Spatial Price Duopoly under Uniform Delivered Pricing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(1-2), pages 175-87, September.
- Shilony, Yuval, 1977. "Mixed pricing in oligopoly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 373-388, April.
- AM Alvarez & EG Fidalgo & RJ Sexton & M Zhang, 2000. "Oligopsony power with uniform spatial pricing: theory and application to milk processing in Spain," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(3), pages 347-364, September.
- Greenhut, Melvin L, 1981. "Spatial Pricing in the United States, West Germany and Japan," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 48(189), pages 79-86, February.
- Aguirre, Inaki & Espinosa, Maria Paz & Macho-Stadler, Ines, 1998. "Strategic entry deterrence through spatial price discrimination," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 297-314, May.
- Schmitt, N. & Eaton, B.C., 1992. "Endogenous Pricing Modes in Markets for Inputs," Discussion Papers dp92-13, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Anderson, S. & De Palma, A. & Thisse, J-F., 1989.
"Social Surplus And Profitability Under Different Spacial Pricing Policies,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1989010, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & de PALMA, André & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Social surplus and profitability under different spatial pricing policies," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1009, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Balcer, Yves, 1983. "F.O.B. Pricing versus uniform delivered pricing: A welfare analysis in a stochastic environment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 54-73, June.
- Graubner, Marten & Balmann, Alfons, 2012. "Spatial Pricing on Land Rental Markets," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 125349, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Kumar, Ashutosh & Saha, Bibhas, 2008. "Spatial competition in a mixed duopoly with one partially nationalized firm," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 326-341, June.
- Gunther Maier, 2009. "Spatial prices, search behavior and location," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 27-48, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.