The role of program quality and publicly-owned platforms in the free to air broadcasting industry
AbstractWe consider the role of a publicly-owned platform and program quality in the free to air broadcasting industry. We compare the equilibrium levels of advertising under private and mixed duopoly competition, and show that the connection between program quality and advertising incentives are drastically different between both scenarios. We also consider the welfare implications of our analysis and obtain policy implications regarding the optimal government’s intervention in the broadcasting industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie AD with number 2010-19.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
program quality; mixed duopoly; advertising; media;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
- L82 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Entertainment; Media
- M37 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Advertising
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso, 2004.
"Content and Advertising in the Media: Pay-TV versus Free-To-Air,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2008. "Content and advertising in the media: Pay-tv versus free-to-air," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 949-965, July.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2005.
"Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 947-972.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2003. "Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis," Virginia Economics Online Papers 358, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Climent Quintana Domeque & Sonia Oreffice, 2010.
"Anthropometry and socioeconomics in the couple: evidence from the PSID,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2010-16, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sonia Oreffice & Climent Quintana, 2009. "Anthropometry and Socioeconomics in the Couple: Evidence from the PSID," Working Papers 2009-22, FEDEA.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Tore Nilssen & Lars S�rgard, 2007.
"Competition for Viewers and Advertisers in a TV Oligopoly,"
Journal of Media Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 211-233.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Tore Nilssen & Lars Sørgard, 2006. "Competition for Viewers and Advertisers in a TV Oligopoly," CESifo Working Paper Series 1862, CESifo Group Munich.
- Crampes, Claude & Haritchabalet, Carole & Jullien, Bruno, 2006.
"Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries,"
IDEI Working Papers
374, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Claude Crampes & Carole Haritchabalet & Bruno Jullien, 2005. "Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries," CESifo Working Paper Series 1591, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Nathalie Sonnac, 2004.
"Programming and Advertising Competition in the Broadcasting Industry,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 657-669, December.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, . "Programming and advertising competition in the broadcasting industry," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1873, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lari Arthur Viianto, 2010. "The effects of the tax system on education decisions and welfare," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Kumar, Ashutosh & Saha, Bibhas, 2008. "Spatial competition in a mixed duopoly with one partially nationalized firm," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 326-341, June.
- Kenneth C. Wilbur, 2008. "A Two-Sided, Empirical Model of Television Advertising and Viewing Markets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(3), pages 356-378, 05-06.
- Germa Bel & Laia Domenech, 2009. "What Influences Advertising Price in Television Channels?: An Empirical Analysis on the Spanish Market," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(3), pages 164-183.
- José J. Sempere Monerris & Rafael Moner Colonques & Amparo Urbano Salvador, 2010. "Trade liberalization in vertically related markets," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.