Reviewing regulatory objectives: should the scope of regulation be extended?
AbstractThis paper will consider whether the scope of financial regulation should be extended and if so, ways in which this could occur. In order to carry out these tasks, it will not only address problems identified from the recent crises and Basel 2, gaps which exist in some of the responses to these issues, but will also consider what roles other parties such as central banks and external auditors can play in achieving financial objectives. To a certain extent, it will address these issues by making references to proposals which have been put forward from different sources. It will introduce the points of discussion through an overview of global developments which have necessitated the need for a review of financial regulation and through a review of the present regulatory objectives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15547.
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
risk; external; auditor; bank; regulation; financial; objectives;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K2 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2009-06-17 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAW-2009-06-17 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-REG-2009-06-17 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, Robert & Cave, Martin, 1999.
"Understanding Regulation: Theory, Strategy, and Practice,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198774389.
- Baldwin, Robert & Cave, Martin & Lodge, Martin, 2011. "Understanding Regulation: Theory, Strategy, and Practice," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780199576098.
- Becht, Marco & Bolton, Patrick & Roell, Ailsa, 2003.
"Corporate governance and control,"
Handbook of the Economics of Finance,
in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 1-109
- Patrick Bolton & Marco Becht & Alisa Roell, 2002. "Corporate Governance and Control," NBER Working Papers 9371, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Becht & Patrick Bolton & Ailsa Röell, 2003. "Corporate governance and control," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13330, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- David G. Mayes & Geoffrey Wood, 2008. "Lessons from the Northern Rock Episode," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 114, pages 5-27.
- Simona E. Cociuba, 2009. "Seeking stability: what's next for banking regulation?," Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, vol. 4(apr).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.