Financial Regulation and Risk Management: Addressing Risk Challenges in a Changing Financial Environment
AbstractAmongst other things, this paper aims to address complexities and challenges faced by regulators in identifying and assessing risk, problems arising from different perceptions of risk, and solutions aimed at countering problems of risk regulation. It will approach these issues through an assessment of explanations put forward to justify the growing importance of risks, well known risk theories such as cultural theory, risk society theory and governmentality theory. In addressing the problems posed as a result of the difficulty in quantifying risks, it will consider a means whereby risks can be quantified reasonably without the consequential effects which result from the dual nature of risk that is, risks emanating from the management of institutional risks. Current attempts by the European Union to regulate risks will also be discussed. This discussion will be facilitated through a consideration of recent developments in the EU which are aimed at addressing risks posed by hedge funds. The results obtained from a consultation process on hedge funds, and which will be discussed in the concluding section of this paper, reveal whether the systemic relevance of hedge funds and prime brokerage regulation need to be reviewed. Questions also addressed during the consultation process, which include whether indirect prudential regulation is inadequate to shield the financial system from hedge funds’ failure and whether prudential authorities have necessary tools to monitor exposures of the core financial system to hedge funds, will also be discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 14503.
Date of creation: 06 Apr 2009
Date of revision:
risk; management; regulation; hedge funds;
Other versions of this item:
- Ojo, Marianne, 2009. "Financial regulation and risk management: addressing risk challenges in a changing financial environment," MPRA Paper 27424, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Dec 2010.
- Ojo, Marianne, 2006. "Financial regulation and risk management: addressing risk challenges in a changing financial environment," MPRA Paper 32409, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2011.
- K2 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAW-2009-04-13 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-REG-2009-04-13 (Regulation)
- NEP-RMG-2009-04-13 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, Robert & Cave, Martin & Lodge, Martin, 2011.
"Understanding Regulation: Theory, Strategy, and Practice,"
OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press,
Oxford University Press,
edition 2, number 9780199576098, October.
- Baldwin, Robert & Cave, Martin, 1999. "Understanding Regulation: Theory, Strategy, and Practice," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774389, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.