Lessons from the Northern Rock Episode
AbstractWe consider the lessons that might be learned by other countries from the problems with Northern Rock and the reactions of the UK authorities. We ask whether the surprise of the run on the bank came because economic analysis did not provide the right guidance or whether it was simply a problem of practical implementation. We conclude it was the latter and that as a result other countries will want to review the detail of their deposit insurance and their regimes for handling banking problems and insolvency. The relationships between the various authorities involved were shown to be crucial; were a similar problem to occur in a cross-border institution the diffi culties experienced in the UK could be small by comparison.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEPII research center in its journal Economie Internationale.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): 114 ()
Northern rock; bank failure; bank run; deposit insurance; lender of last resort;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- E53 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Deposit Insurance
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David G. Mayes, 2009. "Banking Crisis Resolution Policy - Lessons from Recent Experience - which elements are needed for robust and efficient crisis resolution?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2823, CESifo Group Munich.
- David G. Mayes, 2008. "Avoiding the Next Crisis," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 9(4), pages 44-50, December.
- Hyun Song Shin, 2009. "Reflections on Northern Rock: The Bank Run That Heralded the Global Financial Crisis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 101-19, Winter.
- Ojo, Marianne, 2009. "Reviewing regulatory objectives: should the scope of regulation be extended?," MPRA Paper 15547, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.