Banking Crisis Resolution Policy - Lessons from Recent Experience - which elements are needed for robust and efficient crisis resolution?
AbstractThe current financial crisis has sparked intense debate about how weak banks should be resolved. Despite international efforts to coordinate and converge on such policies, national policy advice and resolution practices differ. The resolution methods adopted in the Nordic banking crises in the 1990s are generally acknowledged to include important elements of “best practice”. But some of these lessons have proved hard to implement during the current crisis, and new policies have been developed as a response, particularly in the UK. Still, unresolved issues remain. These are discussed in a review of the resolution methods in the US, UK and NZ.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 2823.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
crisis resolution; banks; special resolution regime;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David G. Mayes & María J. Nieto & Larry Wall, 2008.
"Multiple safety net regulators and agency problems in the EU: Is Prompt Corrective Action partly the solution?,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers, Banco de Espaï¿½a
0819, Banco de Espa�a.
- Mayes, David G. & Nieto, María J. & Wall, Larry, 2008. "Multiple safety net regulators and agency problems in the EU: Is Prompt Corrective Action partly the solution?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 232-257, September.
- Larry D. Wall, 2010.
"Prudential Discipline for Financial Firms: Micro, Macro, and Market Structures,"
- Larry D. Wall, 2010. "Prudential discipline for financial firms: micro, macro, and market structures," Working Paper, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta 2010-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Wall, Larry D., 2009. "Prudential Discipline for Financial Firms: Micro, Macro, and Market Structures," ADBI Working Papers, Asian Development Bank Institute 176, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Finn Østrup & Lars Oxelheim & Clas Wihlborg, 2009.
"Origins and Resolution of Financial Crises: Lessons from the Current and Northern European Crises,"
Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press,
MIT Press, vol. 8(3), pages 178-220, October.
- Ostrup, Finn & Oxelheim, Lars & Wihlborg, Clas, 2009. "Origins and Resolution of Financial Crises; Lessons from the Current and Northern European Crises," Working Paper Series, Research Institute of Industrial Economics 796, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996.
"Will legislated early intervention prevent the next banking crisis?,"
Working Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
96-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996. "Will Legislated Early Intervention Prevent the Next Banking Crisis?," Boston College Working Papers in Economics, Boston College Department of Economics 359, Boston College Department of Economics.
- David G. Mayes & Geoffrey Wood, 2008. "Lessons from the Northern Rock Episode," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, CEPII research center, issue 114, pages 5-27.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Nijskens, Rob, 2011. "Complementing Bagehot: Illiquidity and insolvency resolution," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 8603, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.