Oil Prices and Real Exchange Rates in Oil-Exporting Countries: A Bounds Testing Approach
AbstractWe test the validity of the Dutch disease hypothesis by examining the relationship between real oil prices and real exchange rates in a sample of fourteen oil exporting countries. Autoregressive distributed lag (ARDL) bounds tests of cointegration support the existence of a stable relationship between real exchange rates and real oil prices in all countries, suggesting a strong support for the Dutch disease hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 13435.
Date of creation: 28 Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Oil Prices; Real Exchange Rates; Dutch Disease; Cointegration; Autoregressive Distributed Lags;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- F37 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Finance Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-02-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2009-02-22 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CBA-2009-02-22 (Central Banking)
- NEP-ENE-2009-02-22 (Energy Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brunstad, Rolf Jens & Dyrstad, Jan Morten, 1997. "Booming Sector and Wage Effects: An Empirical Analysis on Norwegian Data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 89-103, January.
- Bruno, Michael & Sachs, Jeffrey, 1982. "Energy and Resource Allocation: A Dynamic Model of the "Dutch Disease"," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(5), pages 845-59, Special I.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Aoki, Masanao, 1983. "Oil export boom and Dutch-disease : A dynamic analysis," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 219-242, September.
- Perron, P., 1990.
"Further Evidence On Breaking Trend Functions In Macroeconomics Variables,"
Papers, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program
350, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1997. "Further evidence on breaking trend functions in macroeconomic variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 355-385, October.
- Perron, P., 1994. "Further Evidence on Breaking Trend Functions in Macroeconomic Variables," Cahiers de recherche, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques 9421, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P., 1994. "Further Evidence on Breaking Trend Functions in Macroeconomic Variables," Cahiers de recherche, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ 9421, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1984. "Coffee, money and inflation in Colombia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(11-12), pages 1107-1117.
- Gregory, R.G., 1976.
"Some Implications Of The Growth Of The Mineral Sector,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 20(02), August.
- R.G. Gregory, 1976. "Some Implications Of The Growth Of The Mineral Sector," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 20(2), pages 71-91, 08.
- Mohammad R. Jahan-Parvar & Hassan Mohammadi, 2009. "Oil prices and competitiveness: time series evidence from six oil-producing countries," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(1), pages 98-118, January.
- Fardmanesh, Mohsen, 1991. "Dutch disease economics and oil syndrome: An empirical study," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 711-717, June.
- Corden, W Max & Neary, J Peter, 1982. "Booming Sector and De-Industrialisation in a Small Open Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 825-48, December.
- Torvik, Ragnar, 2001. "Learning by doing and the Dutch disease," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 285-306, February.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Michael Bruno & Jeffrey Sachs, 1982. "Energy and Resource Allocation: A Dynamic Model of the "Dutch Disease"," NBER Working Papers 0852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- P J Forsyth & J A Kay, 1980. "The economic implications of North Sea Oil Revenues," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 1(3), pages 1-28, July.
- Eastwood, R K & Venables, A J, 1982. "The Macroeconomic Implications of a Resource Discovery in an Open Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(366), pages 285-99, June.
- Hasanov Fakhri, 2011.
"Analyzing price level in a booming economy: the case of Azerbaijan,"
EERC Working Paper Series
11/02e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Hasanov, Fakhri, 2009. "Analyzing price level in a booming economy: the case of Azerbaijan," MPRA Paper 29555, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fakhri Hasanov, 2010.
"The Impact of Real Oil Price on Real Effective Exchange Rate: The Case of Azerbaijan,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1041, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Hasanov, Fakhri, 2010. "The impact of real oil price on real effective exchange rate: The case of Azerbaijan," MPRA Paper 33493, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benedictow, Andreas & Fjærtoft, Daniel & Løfsnæs, Ole, 2013. "Oil dependency of the Russian economy: An econometric analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 400-428.
- Hasanov, Fakhri & Huseynov, Fariz, 2013. "Bank credits and non-oil economic growth: Evidence from Azerbaijan," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 597-610.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.