Oil prices and competitiveness: time series evidence from six oil-producing countries
AbstractPurpose – The purpose of this paper is to study the potential loss of competitiveness due to higher oil prices through the monetary channel in a group of six oil producing countries. Design/methodology/approach – A dynamic time series methodology, Dynamic Simultaneous Equations, is applied to Vector Autoregressive Moving Average model with exogenous variables. Findings – Mixed evidence was found of loss of competitiveness due to high oil prices in the sample. Practical implications – Findings are useful both for academic researchers in international finance or development economics. Policy makers will find the results useful for implementing stabilization or neutralization policies. Originality/value – The empirical work extends earlier research in several directions including extension to six oil-producing countries, use of data over the flexible exchange rate period, and a more suitable technique, which estimates the model in a dynamic setting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 36 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Manfred Wiebelt & Rainer Schweickert & Clemens Breisinger & Marcus Böhme, 2011.
"Oil revenues for public investment in Africa: targeting urban or rural areas?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 147(4), pages 745-770, November.
- Marcus Böhme & Clemens Breisinger & Rainer Schweickert & Manfred Wiebelt, 2010. "Oil revenues for public investment in Africa: targeting urban or rural areas?," Kiel Working Papers 1623, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Hassan Mohammadi & Mohammad Jahan-Parvar, 2012. "Oil prices and exchange rates in oil-exporting countries: evidence from TAR and M-TAR models," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 766-779, July.
- Mohammadi, Hassan & Su, Lixian, 2010. "International evidence on crude oil price dynamics: Applications of ARIMA-GARCH models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1001-1008, September.
- Jahan-Parvar, Mohammad R. & Mohammadi, Hassan, 2008. "Oil Prices and Real Exchange Rates in Oil-Exporting Countries: A Bounds Testing Approach," MPRA Paper 13435, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Khiabani, Nasser, 2010. "How Important are Oil and Money Shocks in Explaining Housing Market Fluctuations in an Oil-exporting Country?: Evidence from Iran," MPRA Paper 34041, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Mar 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Harris).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.