A New Approach Based on Cumulants for Estimating Financial Regression Models with Errors in the Variables: the Fama and French Model Revisited
AbstractThis paper proposes to revisit both the CAPM and the three-factor model of Fama and French (1993) in presence of errors in the variables. To reduce the bias induced by measurement and specification errors, we transpose to the cost of equity an estimator based on cumulants of order three and four initially developed by Dagenais and Dagenais (1997) and lated generalized to financial models by Racicot (2003). Our results show that our technique has great and significant consequences on the measure of the cost of equity. We obtain ipso facto a new estimator of the Jensen alpha.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Département des sciences administratives, UQO in its series RePAd Working Paper Series with number UQO-DSA-wp142006.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 01 May 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Pavillon Lucien Brault, 101 rue Saint Jean-Bosco, Gatineau (Québec) J8Y 3G5
Phone: (819) 595-3900
Fax: (819) 773-1747
Web page: http://www.repad.org/
More information through EDIRC
Errors in the variables; cumulants; higher moments; instrumental variables; cost of equity; Jensen alpha.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C49 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Other
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-06-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2006-06-24 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CFN-2006-06-24 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-ECM-2006-06-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2006-06-24 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FMK-2006-06-24 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Dagenais, Marcel G., 1994. "Parameter estimation in regression models with errors in the variables and autocorrelated disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 145-163.
- Aigner, Dennis J. & Hsiao, Cheng & Kapteyn, Arie & Wansbeek, Tom, 1984. "Latent variable models in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1321-1393 Elsevier.
- Pal, Manoranjan, 1980. "Consistent moment estimators of regression coefficients in the presence of errors in variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 349-364, December.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, October.
- Kothari, S P & Shanken, Jay & Sloan, Richard G, 1995. " Another Look at the Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 185-224, March.
- Dagenais, Marcel G. & Dagenais, Denyse L., 1997. "Higher moment estimators for linear regression models with errors in the variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 193-221.
- Klepper, Steven & Leamer, Edward E, 1984. "Consistent Sets of Estimates for Regressions with Errors in All Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 163-83, January.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1997. "Industry costs of equity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 153-193, February.
- Francois-Éric Racicot & Raymond Théoret & Alain Coen, 2006. "Towards New Empirical Versions of Financial and Accounting Models Corrected for Measurement Errors," RePAd Working Paper Series UQO-DSA-wp132006, Département des sciences administratives, UQO.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1992. "Model Specification Tests and Artificial Regressions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 102-46, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Calmes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.