Spatial competition between shopping centers
AbstractWe study competition between two shopping centers (department stores or shopping malls) located at the extremes of a linear city. In contrast with the existing literature, we do not restrict consumers to make all their purchases at a single place. We obtain this condition as an equilibrium result. In the case of competition between a shopping mall and a department store, we find that the shops at the mall, taken together, obtain a lower profit than the department store. However, the shops at the mall have no incentives to merge into a department store (both sides would lose). It is the department store that has incentives to separate itself into a shopping mall (both sides win).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto in its series FEP Working Papers with number 394.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Retail organization; Multi-product firms; Horizontal differentiation; Hotelling model;
Other versions of this item:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Simon P & Foros, Øystein & Kind, Hans Jarle, 2012.
"Product quality, competition, and multi-purchasing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8923, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Foros, Øystein & Kind, Hans Jarle, 2012. "Product quality, competition, and multi-purchasing," Discussion Papers 2012/9, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Rajiv Lal & Carmen Matutes, 1989. "Price Competition in Multimarket Duopolies," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(4), pages 516-537, Winter.
- Laussel Didier G, 2006. "Are Manufacturers Competing through or with Supermarkets? A Theoretical Investigation," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-18, December.
- Rajiv Lal & Ram Rao, 1997. "Supermarket Competition: The Case of Every Day Low Pricing," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(1), pages 60-80.
- Rey, Patrick & Chen, Zhijun, 2010.
"Loss Leading as an Exploitative Practice,"
IDEI Working Papers
658, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Dec 2011.
- Ting Zhu & Vishal Singh & Anthony Dukes, 2011. "Local competition, entry, and agglomeration," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 129-154, June.
- Eric Giraud-Héraud & Hakim Hammoudi & Mahdi Mokrane, 2003. "Multiproduct firm behaviour in a differentiated market," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(1), pages 41-61, February.
- Marianne Bertrand & Francis Kramarz, 2001.
"Does Entry Regulation Hinder Job Creation ? Evidence from the French Retail Industry,"
2001-12, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Marianne Bertrand & Francis Kramarz, 2002. "Does Entry Regulation Hinder Job Creation? Evidence From The French Retail Industry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(4), pages 1369-1413, November.
- Bertrand, Marianne & Kramarz, Francis, 2001. "Does Entry Regulation Hinder Job Creation? Evidence from the French Retail Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 3039, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bertrand, Marianne & Kramarz, Francis, 2002. "Does Entry Regulation Hinder Job Creation? Evidence from the French Retail Industry," IZA Discussion Papers 415, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marianne Bertrand & Francis Kramarz, 2001. "Does Entry Regulation Hinder Job Creation? Evidence from the French Retail Industry," NBER Working Papers 8211, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Armstrong & John Vickers, 2010.
"Competitive Non-linear Pricing and Bundling,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 77(1), pages 30-60.
- John Vickers & Mark Armstrong, 2006. "Competitive Nonlinear Pricing and Bundling," Economics Series Working Papers 281, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Armstrong, Mark & Vickers, John, 2006. "Competitive nonlinear pricing and bundling," MPRA Paper 70, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thill, Jean-Claude, 1992. "Spatial Duopolistic Competition with Multipurpose and Multistop Shopping," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 287-304, September.
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- Beggs, Alan W, 1994. "Mergers and Malls," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 419-28, December.
- Gehrig, Thomas, 1998. "Competing markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 277-310, February.
- Morton I. Kamien & Israel Zang, 1988.
"The Limits of Monopolization Through Acquisition,"
802, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Schivardi, Fabiano & Viviano, Eliana, 2008.
"Entry Barriers in Retail Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6637, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F. Schivardi & E. Viviano, 2009. "Entry Barriers in Retail Trade," Working Paper CRENoS 200908, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Fabiano Schivardi & Eliana Viviano, 2008. "Entry Barriers in Retail Trade," EIEF Working Papers Series 0814, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Jul 2008.
- Fabiano Schivardi & Eliana Viviano, 2010. "Entry Barriers in Retail Trade," Working Papers CELEG 1003, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Paul Cheshire & Christian A. L. Hilber & Ioannis Kaplanis, 2013.
"Land Use Regulation and Productivity - Land Matters: Evidence from a UK Supermarket Chain,"
SERC Discussion Papers
0138, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Cheshire, Paul C. & Hilber, Christian & Kaplanis, Ioannis, 2012. "Land use regulation and productivity - Land matters: Evidence from a UK Supermarket chain," Working Papers 2072/196650, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:i:4:p:964-982 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stahl, Konrad, 1987. "Therories of urban business location," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: E. S. Mills (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 19, pages 759-820 Elsevier.
- Lal, Rajiv & Matutes, Carmen, 1994. "Retail Pricing and Advertising Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(3), pages 345-70, July.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1992. "Equilibrium Product Lines: Competing Head-to-Head May Be Less Competitive," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 740-55, September.
- Howard Smith & Donald Hay, 2005. "Streets, Malls, and Supermarkets," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 29-59, 03.
- Griffith, Rachel & Harmgart, Heike, 2008. "Supermarkets and Planning Regulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 6713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ward Hanson & R. Kipp Martin, 1990. "Optimal Bundle Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(2), pages 155-174, February.
- Bliss, Christopher, 1988. "A Theory of Retail Pricing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(4), pages 375-91, June.
- Shelegia, Sandro, 2012. "Multiproduct pricing in oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 231-242.
- Matutes, Carmen & Regibeau, Pierre, 1992. "Compatibility and Bundling of Complementary Goods in a Duopoly," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 37-54, March.
- Eric D. Gould & B. Peter Pashigian & Canice J. Prendergast, 2005.
"Contracts, Externalities, and Incentives in Shopping Malls,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(3), pages 411-422, August.
- Gould, Eric D & Pashigian, B. Peter & Prendergast, Canice, 2002. "Contracts, Externalities and Incentives in Shopping Malls," CEPR Discussion Papers 3598, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sloev, Igor & Thisse, Jacques-François & Ushchev, Philip, 2013.
"Do we go shopping downtown or in the `burbs? Why not both?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9604, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- USHCHEV, Philip & SLOEV, Igor & THISSE, Jacques-François & ,, 2013. "Do we go shopping downtown or in the ‘burbs’? Why not both?," CORE Discussion Papers 2013057, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lahmandi-Ayed, Rim, 2010. "Spatial differentiation, divisible consumption and the pro-competitive effect of income," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 71-85, January.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
- Economides, Nicholas & Salop, Steven C, 1992. "Competition and Integration among Complements, and Network Market Structure," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 105-23, March.
- Vitor Miguel Ribeiro & João Correia-da-Silva & Joana Resende, 2014. "Nesting Vertical and Horizontal Differentiation in Two-Sided Markets," FEP Working Papers 535, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.