Monetary Policy, Interest Rate Rules, and Inflation Targeting: Some Basic Equivalences
AbstractPolicymakers increasingly view short-term nominal interest rates as the main instrument of monetary policy, often in conjunction with some inflation target. Interest rates on short-term indexed government debt (i.e., a real interest rate) have also been used as policy instruments. To understand the pros and cons of different policy rules and instruments, this paper derives some basic equivalences among different policy rules. It is shown that, under certain conditions, the following three rules are exactly equivalent: (i) a 'k-percent' money growth rule; (ii) a nominal interest rate rule combined with an inflation target; and (iii) a real interest rate rule combined with an inflation target. These policy rules, however, become increasingly complex: the first rule requires no feedback mechanism; the second rule requires responding to the inflation gap; while the third rule involves responding to both the inflation gap and the output gap. It is also shown that policy rules which respond to the output gap may avoid a deflationary adjustment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 8684.
Date of creation: Dec 2001
Date of revision:
Note: IFM ME
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Carlos Végh, 2002. "Monetary Policy, Interest Rate Rules, and Inflation Targeting: Some Basic Equivalences," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Fernando Lefort & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Serie (ed.), Indexation, Inflation and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 6, pages 151-182 Central Bank of Chile.
- Carlos Végh, 1998. "Monetary Policy, Interest Rate Rules, and Inflation Targeting: Some Basic Equivalences," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 32, Central Bank of Chile.
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-12-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2001-12-26 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2001-12-04 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2001-12-26 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno, Michael, 1993. "Crisis, Stabilization, and Economic Reform: Therapy by Consensus," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198286639.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Schabert, Andreas, 2005.
"Money supply and the implementation of interest rate targets,"
Working Paper Series
0483, European Central Bank.
- Andreas Schabert, 2005. "Money Supply and the Implementation of Interest Rate Targets," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-059/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Schabert, Andreas, 2005. "Money Supply and the Implementation of Interest Rate Targets," CEPR Discussion Papers 5094, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nejla Adanur Aklan & Mehmet Nargelecekenler, 2008. "Taylor Rule in Practice: Evidence from Turkey," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 156-166, May.
- Andreas Schabert, . "On the Equivalence of Money Growth and Interest Rate Policy," Working Papers 2003_6, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow, revised Apr 2003.
- Shigeto Kitano, 2007. "Capital Controls, Public Debt and Currency Crises," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 90(2), pages 117-142, March.
- Erdin MALOKU, 2011. "Role of Central Bank in the Establishment and the Development of Financial System in Post-War Kosovo," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 1(5), pages 14, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.