Fighting Inflation with High Interest Rates: The Small Open Economy Case under Flexible Prices
AbstractIn high inflation countries, policymakers often end up paying interest on part of the money supply. Higher interest rates on money have been used both to reduce inflation and to defend the domestic currency. This paper analyzes the effectiveness of such a policy in the context of an open economy with flexible prices and exchange rates. A temporary increase in the interest rate on money reduces the price level on impact but inflation follows an explosive path afterwards. The domestic currency appreciates on impact but begins to depreciate immediately thereafter. Hence, the analysis does not support the use of high interest rates in disinflationary programs. Copyright 1995 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 27 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1999.
"Inflation stabilization and bop crises in developing countries,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 24, pages 1531-1614
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carlos A. Vegh, 1999. "Inflation Stabilization and BOP Crises in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 6925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amartya Lahiri & Carlos A. Vegh, 2000. "Delaying the Inevitable: Optimal Interest Rate Policy and BOP Crises," NBER Working Papers 7734, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos de Almeida Cardoso & Flávio Vilela Vieira, 2004. "Câmbio, Inflação E Juros Na Transição Do Regime Cambial Brasileiro: Uma Análise De Vetores Auto-Regressivos E Causalidade," Anais do XXXII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 32th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 080, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Canzoneri, Matthew B. & Diba, Behzad T., 2005. "Interest rate rules and price determinacy: The role of transactions services of bonds," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 329-343, March.
- Sulo Haderi & Harry Papapanagos & Peter Sanfey & Mirela Talka, 1996.
"Inflation and Stabilization in Albania,"
Studies in Economics
9613, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Arman Mansoorian & Mohammed Mohsin, 2002. "The Employment, Investment and Current Account Effects of Exchange Rate Policies in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Working Papers 2002_04, York University, Department of Economics.
- Leao, Emanuel R. & Leao, Pedro R., 2007. "Modelling the central bank repo rate in a dynamic general equilibrium framework," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 571-610, July.
- Mariassunta Giannetti, 2004. "Old and Modern Currency Crises: Short-Term Liabilities, Speculative Attacks and Business Cycles," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 133, Econometric Society.
- Carlos A. Vegh & Guillermo Vuletin, 2012. "Overcoming the Fear of Free Falling: Monetary Policy Graduation in Emerging Markets," NBER Working Papers 18175, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dutu, Richard, 2008. "Currency interdependence and dollarization," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1673-1687, December.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2006.
"Monetary Policy Challenges in Emerging Markets: Sudden Stop, Liability Dollarization, and Lender of Last Resort,"
Research Department Publications
4504, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2006. "Monetary Policy Challenges in Emerging Markets: Sudden Stop, Liability Dollarization, and Lender of Last Resort," NBER Working Papers 12788, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DeLisle Worrell, 2003. "A Currency Union for the Caribbean," IMF Working Papers 03/35, International Monetary Fund.
- Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont & Ratna Sahay, 1995.
"Dollarization in Transition Economies: Evidence and Policy Implications,"
IMF Working Papers
95/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Sahay, Ratna & Vegh, Carlos, 1995. "Dollarization in transition economies: Evidence and policy implications," MPRA Paper 20490, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Viktoria Hnatkovska & Amartya Lahiri & Carlos A. Vegh, 2008.
"Interest Rates and the Exchange Rate: A Non-Monotonic Tale,"
NBER Working Papers
13925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hnatkovska, Viktoria & Lahiri, Amartya & Vegh, Carlos A., 2013. "Interest rate and the exchange rate: A non-monotonic tale," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 68-93.
- Travis D. Nesmith, 2005. "Solving stochastic money-in-the-utility-function models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-52, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kumhof, Michael, 2000. "A quantitative exploration of the role of short-term domestic debt in balance of payments crises," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 195-215, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.